Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying on line - payment taken when item not in stock.

Default Buying on line - payment taken when item not in stock.

A few days ago I made a purchase on line from a company I have not previously dealt with. Their on screen display showed the item and the price, but no indication that it was not in stock. After the standard email confirmation, I received a further email to say that they were waiting delivery, and that this was expected in the next 5 - 7 working days. But payment was taken from my account immediately.

Phoning them, I was told that it was their policy (covered by T&C) to take the money before ordering the goods. How this was stated left me with the impression that this procedure could apply generally; i.e., that they possibly carry no stock for many of the items they advertise. The company is UK based, and appears to have a shopping address in the Preston area.
    Under distance selling regulations, I have always thought that money could not be taken unless an item was readily available to purchase.

You are correct about the distance selling regulations; these override the companies T&C Snowball. I have noticed on other forums that most internet vendors have not yet adapted to the regulations, or use the T&C excuse to bluff their way out of their obligations

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    You are correct about the distance selling regulations; these override the companies T&C Snowball. I have noticed on other forums that most internet vendors have not yet adapted to the regulations, or use the T&C excuse to bluff their way out of their obligations
    Thanks for that, wagolynn. I'll give them the benefit of their statement that the item should be available in the next 5 - 7 working days. After that time, if things are awry, I will look up the precise distance-selling regulations and, if I have a bona fide case, challenge them regarding their terms for doing business.

Did you say you use a debit card on line Snowball; some have protection nearly up to credit card standards? Anyway, if things go wrong advise your card company and get Consumers direct involved http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governme...ghts/index.htm
    Good Luck.

We use pay-pal to pay for all our on-line shopping, but some times we have to use our bank card, (making sure its a secured page before hand) but they all have a policy where they do not take payment until the item is sent.

We have never had any problems so far with on line shopping. (fingers crossed)

I use PayPal on occasions, but not when I am dealing with a regular supplier (e.g., Amazon), as I then use my separeate, low credit current a/c which I keep specifically for on line purchases. The company that is the subject of this thread use a transaction medium called 'WorldPay', who I have never heard of before. The company sells products across the leisure industry, have been around for quite some time and advertise in well established mags. Thinking about them,though, I feel sure I did once read of them being bad-mouthed for poor service on a caravanning forum I sometimes visit.
    I'll allow them 7 working days overdue of their promised delivery before chasing them; although I think the distance selling reg's allow a 30-day window before they can be officially called-to-book.
    Happy days!

Under the distance selling regulations you can cancel your order at an time and for any reason (within the first 7 days). I had a similar thing some years ago with a company who showed having a high stock and after a long time waiting I called them to be told they didn't have any. The thing that really got me was the price had dropped to a much lower price too in the time I was waiting, So I demanded a refund and then bought elsewhere at the lower price.
    Last edited by MrDanno; 07-01-12 at 11:15.

Amazon is one of the companies which spell out your 'rights' very clearly at the time they issue confirmation of your order. Here, they advise that the contract has not been completed until the order has been dispatched, and that, under UK distance selling regulations, you have a further 7 days to cancel the order, beginning from the day the goods were received.

I suppose it all depends if your in a hurry for it. If I was in a hurry for it, I'd cancel the order and go elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDanno View Post
    I suppose it all depends if your in a hurry for it. If I was in a hurry for it, I'd cancel the order and go elsewhere.
    Fortunately, I'm not in a hurry for it. But it has to be signed for, so there is the problem of trying to ensure someone is at home to recieve it, which becomes more difficult as time progresses. And some delivery people charge for having to make a repeat call. At present some other sites (e.g., Argos) are out of stock anyhow, and some who claim(?) to have it in stock are significantly more expensive; possibly the reason they still have stock???

I think my main reason for annoyance is the failure to declare 'no stock' up front, instead of assuming I am prepared to await an unknown delivery date, and taking the money on that assumption. If they mess me about I might list them on the Trustpilot review website.