Poll: What is your prefered choice of generating Electricity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generating electricity.

Default Generating electricity.

Just wondered what everyone thinks about how we should generate electricity, For me it is Nuclear all the way!

In my view it unfair to pass on the nuclear fission waste to the next generations, we should be putting more money into nuclear fusion. In the mean time, we could generate more power from the sun by both using photovoltaic cells and setting very large-scale sun heated power stations in the hot parts of the world. Transmission losses could be reduced by shifting to Direct current, for all transmission lines, including our national grid, converting to Alternating current at substation level. Wind turbines can be made more efficient, but unfortunately, there is little incentive to do so. Generation of power is an engineering problem therefore best tackled by engineers, politicians and financiers will and have just screwed it up.

Nuclear then we cannot be held to ransom by the Russian gas fields or the Middle east oil countries which are all politically unstable.

Hydro Power, like here in Scotland as its pollution free, cheap and has no after effects. But what I cant understand is, why do we pay so much for it?

We even export it over to France, (not my idea)so why don't we keep it all here in the U.K for the benefit of the whole country?

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Hydro Power, like here in Scotland as its pollution free, cheap and has no after effects. But what I cant understand is, why do we pay so much for it?

We even export it over to France, (not my idea)so why don't we keep it all here in the U.K for the benefit of the whole country?
    If it is like the Dinorwig power station in wales, It actually uses more electricity from other Power stations than it produces! What a wonderful idea

That would be a good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post

I grew up in the Highlands when the hydro-electric dams etc. were being built. Hydro power is cheap in terms of running costs, but the capital costs of construction are horrendous. You also need to consider the environmental impact - whole valleys flooded, and the countryside disfigured with pipelines and pylons.

The overall contribution of all the vast hydro schemes in Scotland to the National Grid is tiny. It does have an important strategic role, as hydro power can be switched on and off instantaneously to meet peak demands, but it is unrealistic to think of it as a serious rival to nuclear or fossil fuels.

I would go for tidal-flow generated power. We are surrounded by tidal water, and it would be hidden. I am not a fan of those windmill things or pylons.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDanno View Post
    If it is like the Dinorwig power station in wales, It actually uses more electricity from other Power stations than it produces! What a wonderful idea
    Dinorwig power station is a pumped storage power station. When the national grid has spare capacity Dinorwig pumps water from the lower lake to the upper lake thus storing energy. When the grid is short or sudden peaks Dinorwig releases water from the upper lake to generate electricity to supply the grid. Pumped storage systems are the only practical way of storing large amounts of power. The French tidal barrage does the same, as well as using the tidal flow to generate.

http://www.reuk.co.uk/UK-Hydro-Power-Stations.htm

The one at Ben Cruachan is inside the mountain and reverses the turbines to pump the water back up into the reservoir.