Thread: Young driver first insurance

Default Young driver first insurance

Hi all,

I have an 18 year old son who is currently having driving lessons. He has bought and insured himself (TPFT) an '02 Ford KA and pays about 1000 per year to Collonade Insurance for the pleasure.

However, this insurance only covers him for while he has not passed his test and as soon as that happens, he must find another policy. Currently, it looks like he will have passed well before he has had the policy a year and hence, the policy will end without any no claims bonus being earned.

Wide ranging searches for insurance have yielded quotes for my son (as a newly qualified driver) of 3000 upwards!

Does anyone have any hot tips for getting a cheaper policy (or from where)?

I heard that a cheaper route might be that there may be a few policies where I would insure the car for him and he would be a named driver yet still allow him to start accruing his own no claims bonus. I'd be grateful for any tips on that one too.

Many thanks.

avmad

Getting cheap insurance for young drivers is a very constant question on here. There have been a number of threads where recommendations were made. Try a Forum search.
    Also be aware that 'fronting' is most definitely frowned upon by insurers.
    As to these companies that give NCB to other named drivers, the NCB is not usually transferable, although some companies will take it into account and give an 'introductory' discount.