Thread: Coverage for the Bonnet?

Default Coverage for the Bonnet?

Hi, I've had the breakdown and home start cover for over 12 months now and had to call them out for my wipers not working last year before setting off back home from my Mum's 80 miles away. It was during the cold, freezing period. The car worked fine but it was a sensible decision to call out the RAC as it was too risky to drive without wipers in Winter.

My point now: I've just filled up my wash/wipe with a Winter mix and the bonnet catch won't close properly, the warning light in my Golf comes on showing it's "loose" on the first hook but not fully down. It's too dangerous to drive in these winds. Am I covered to call out the RAC at home? Seems a similar thing to wipers, the only difference being that I'm at home. I can't go to work in my car.

All opinions welcomed.

Thanks.

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't it be better and easier to phone the RAC and ask them, rather than seek the opinions of me and my fellow forum users, who are no doubt well intentioned but probably ill-informed?

Or ask me.......

Yes we will come out to a bonnet not shutting or opening try pushing the handle back first if not try lubing with wd40 and moving the catch around to loosen so it will shut Ok corrosion Is the problem

Miss breakdown
    Last edited by Miss Breakdown; 09-12-11 at 12:54.

If you have 'home start' and cannot get the bonnet to latch properly, even making all the attempts open to you, a breakdown callout would seem reasonable. It would not be safe to drive, even to a garage, in this condition.
    Many years ago I had a bonnet fly back against the windscreen whilst travelling at about 50mph. It's frighteneing, dangerous, and a risk not worth contemplating. Fast-forward about 45 years, and I still carefully check the bonnet for latching properly every time I open and close it; which includes checking it when collecting after a service.

a lot of the vw range, golf,passat etc has had loads of trouble with lock mechanisms over the cold period,

i found with the bonnet mechanisms pouring some hot water over them with the kettle will rectify this fault, as it is the grease inside the lock mechanism that fails (goes hard like candle wax)
    in the cold weather jamming the mechanisms, i have come across loads of these.
    Last edited by fil1973; 11-04-12 at 09:38.

I am on my second Touran, our daughter is on her second Touran, our son has a Passat and our son-in-law has had several Golfs (the Passat the oldest at 03-plate). None of these cars has ever had a problem in this respect. I suspect someone has applied the wrong lubricant at some time.

Or none at all?