Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: renault megane

Default renault megane

Hi guys need to double check if i'm right or not.Is cylinder 1 on a renault megane 1.6 petrol 2005 (55) nearest the fly wheel,if not which 1 is it? Reason being scanned engine & found a P0301 DTC meaning cylinder 1 misfire & i suspect coil pencil is the cause,as spark plugs have been replaced recently.Was going to swap coils over & see if it comes up with another DTC,before i start replacing a parts & find out later it wasn't needed.
    Any help would be appreciated,thanks in advance guys.

yep your are correct no1 is flywheel end i would check sparkplug anyway and just change the coil no 4 will more than likely fail shortly as well.

miss breakdown

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Breakdown View Post
    yep your are correct no1 is flywheel end i would check sparkplug anyway and just change the coil no 4 will more than likely fail shortly as well.

miss breakdown
    spark plugs have been changed as recent as yesterday

ah ok just change the coil then.

miss breakdown

Want to check its definatly the coil & had the idea of swaping 2 over to see if scanning shows a different cylinder misfire,or if anyone knows of a easier way to check this

Some will not agree but it works for me. Engine running at normal temp. Pull off the connector from no.1 and there should be no change to the engine speed. Refit. Now pull off no.2 and the engine should stall or drop the revs right down. Same for the rest. That will only prove which cylinder. As you say, swap the coils if you think the misfire might be something else. The coils are only 20 or so (not the dealer that is)

you can pull an injector plug off if you can get to them. you wont see anything on the coil itself as they arc through the plastic or rubber near the neck.

miss breakdown

Engine scanner has already determined it is cylinder 1 as got DTC P0301 (cylinder 1 misfire) already changed the spark plugs,deleted code,took car for test drive engine light came back on re-scanned & same code reappeared but as it's not my car (a friends car) they are saying they dont want to pay for a new coil unless it definate (think they a bit tight with money lol).Just thought swap & do a retest to see if it comes up with a different cylinder misfire (i am assuming all 4 are the same) to determine it is the coil,as i have read that this is most likely to be the cause of misfire on megane's

All coils the same. If you put no1 into number 2 then the fault code will be P0302. If it is the coil you should advise them to replace all 4 as they will go down one after the other and you dont want them coming back saying, 'I've paid you good money to fix my car and its doing exactly the same again.'
    Last edited by Hometune; 06-12-11 at 19:23.

I have suggested they have all 4 replaced but left that up to them to decide,also i did it as a favour so no money being paid out to me unless they offer it just the cost of parts which they are supplying i just tell them what to get.