Thread: Proof of insurance when stopped by police.

Default Proof of insurance when stopped by police.

In the past, there have been reports of cars being impounded, even though insured, because of DVLA records errors.

Today I received my renewal of certificate of insurance for the next 12 months.
    Included with the certificate was an additional sheet of headed notepaper which contains the following info:

A sub-heading which says, "You and your car are now insured".
    My name and address, and policy number.
    Car registration and details of vehicle.
    Details of dates (start and end) for the period of insurance.
    Cost of premium paid.
    Same signature and title as on the actual certificate.

I wonder if this is to become common practice across insurers?
    In the event of being stopped by the police, and DVLA records not correct, it is a powerful document for preventing impounding of the car.

As I have mentioned before, I never go out without my driving licence and insurance certificate. It just makes life more hassle free.

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    As I have mentioned before, I never go out without my driving licence and insurance certificate. It just makes life more hassle free.
    Same for me, wagolynn, but it is a bit of extra support in the event of meeting up with a plod!

you can check what is held on the mid data base here http://www.askmid.com/ this what the police use to check wether you are insured or not.

miss breakdown

True Miss Breakdown, but we should not forget that all drivers are not computer literate. There are still a lot who have no dealings with on-line procedures. Being caravanners, we meet people from all manner of backgrounds, and it is surprising how many, not always elderly (like me, ha-ha), who are very anti-computer.

Quote....." and it is registered in your name then it must be insured at all times."

This sounds like another "rip off" to motorists Its the same as that council tax law we have here in Scotland, which forces house holders to pay the full 100% of council tax for a house after its been empty for 6 months?

Although the law was brought in to make the "well off" pay the council tax for their "holiday homes".

But in fact, it also caught people like us, as we were working down here in Fife, while our house up North was still up for sale. But because we never got it sold within those 6 months, we were forced to pay the full years council tax!

That meant that I was paying full council tax, insurance and mortgage for house that we were not even living in? As well as the flat we were renting down here?

I am dubious about bits of paper now for the simple reason that you can take out a Policy, receive relevant paperwork, then cancel payment. This is a scenario that seems to be quite prevalent on the Police fly-on-the-wall TV progs. The only 'proof' that the Police seem to accept is that it is either on their database, or they phone the insurer to check. All well and good during business hours, but what happens in the early hours?

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    I am dubious about bits of paper now for the simple reason that you can take out a Policy, receive relevant paperwork, then cancel payment. This is a scenario that seems to be quite prevalent on the Police fly-on-the-wall TV progs. The only 'proof' that the Police seem to accept is that it is either on their database, or they phone the insurer to check. All well and good during business hours, but what happens in the early hours?
    The additional document I mentioned does have the insurer's phone number included. I take your point about "out-of-office hours", but that is hardly the fault of the driver who has been stopped.
    For myself, there is another course of action. The document also contains the premium charge. I could ask the police to give me access to a computer, log into my on line banking account, and show them the the statement having the deducted premium, and that it is still valid.
    Better still, if I happened to have my Notebook on board, I could use my 3G wifi to settle the matter on the spot.

The police would have to acknowledge the proof verbally, since the data protection act would make it illegal for them to write down any details shown on screen without my permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Breakdown View Post
    you can check what is held on the mid data base here http://www.askmid.com/ this what the police use to check wether you are insured or not.

miss breakdown
    The database is not always upto date though.sometimes during opening hours they will phone your insurance company up to check.