Thread: membership

Default membership

hi there iam in possesstion of a old membership badge crome outer with the words ROYAL AUTOMOBILE CLUB ASSOCATE and a crown top center with a enamal union jack in the center membership number f105356 can any one tell me anythink about it?

Welcome to the site Derek, it looks like no one knows anything about such a badge? Its probably because its hard to describe, whereas a picture would give a lot more information.
    Don`t give up, you never know........

I believe an Associate Member was one who was usually the Spouse of a Member. They would join on the back of a full member at a slightly reduced rate, and with the same entitlement of the member.

The Royal Automobile Club was and is a gentleman's club in Pall Mall: basically a glorified pub and golf course. see http://www.royalautomobileclub.co.uk/

The associate section was established to offer roadside assistance and other service to motorists, and "associate" membership was open to peasants like me who would not have been accepted as "full" members. Associate membership traditionally covered the spouse at no extra charge, which was a selling point over the AA who charged extra. (This question didn't arise with "full" membership, where women were barred!)

The Associate Section eventually (about 1977) became RAC Motoring Services, and was later sold off to Lex and then to Aviva. It has now been sold again, this time to a private equity company. There is now no connection with the Royal Automobile Club.

I think the badge in question is pre-war (WW2), and probably worth a few bob. There are usually various old badges on eBay, which may give you an idea of values.

"It has now been sold again, this time to a private equity company. "

Assit strippers???

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    The Royal Automobile Club was and is a gentleman's club in Pall Mall: basically a glorified pub and golf course. see http://www.royalautomobileclub.co.uk/

The associate section was established to offer roadside assistance and other service to motorists, and "associate" membership was open to peasants like me who would not have been accepted as "full" members. Associate membership traditionally covered the spouse at no extra charge, which was a selling point over the AA who charged extra. (This question didn't arise with "full" membership, where women were barred!)

The Associate Section eventually (about 1977) became RAC Motoring Services, and was later sold off to Lex and then to Aviva. It has now been sold again, this time to a private equity company. There is now no connection with the Royal Automobile Club.

I think the badge in question is pre-war (WW2), and probably worth a few bob. There are usually various old badges on eBay, which may give you an idea of values.
    I have several of these badges with slightly differing designs, including a motorsports one. Ladies used never to be allowed in the Club on Pall Mall but they changed the rules so you can go as a guest - they have a ladies bar on the right near the entrance and the last time I went there, the ladies loos were palatial. The Long Bar is very impressive and the swimming pool is fantastic - ladies were not allowed but this one managed an illicit part tour!!

Quote Originally Posted by derek west View Post
    hi there iam in possesstion of a old membership badge crome outer with the words ROYAL AUTOMOBILE CLUB ASSOCATE and a crown top center with a enamal union jack in the center membership number f105356 can any one tell me anythink about it?
    I've just seen one of these on eBay in appalling condition, with an asking price of 70.

The ones I've got are pristine, wrapped in tissue paper and some in their original boxes. About 20 years ago you could pick used ones up for a couple but the motorsport ones had a much higher value.