Thread: Safety Issue with Smart4Two

Default Safety Issue with Smart4Two

I would like to make people aware of a serious fault in smart4two front coil springs. We have had both fail. The first after 26,000 miles and the second within 10,000 later. We were lucky in that it did not cause any other serious damage but I have read that others have had shredded tyres and worse! To top it all, the manufacturer and our dealer Mercedes-Bristol have refused to pay to put it right. I think this is a serious safety issue. It appears that they going to wait until someone is killed before they recall this.

There are many cars that are prone to coil springs breaking e.g. Renaults, Vauxhalls. You only have to watch idiots driving at 30mph over speed humps to see why.

Hi Not2Smart, welcome to the site, there is a mention of that subject on the site listed below.

Also if you click on the Evilution link at the top right hand corner, there are some really good details on how to maintain Smart cars. Hope it helps you.

http://forum.onsmart.co.uk/ucp.php?m...7&k=3SM1N98CUE

Coil springs are always a trade off, too soft and the spring sets e.g. gets shorter with time reducing the ride height. Too hard and they are brittle and break.

Is it three or six months?