Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Uninsured drivers - why we can't get rid of them?

Many drivers who behave badly on our roads travel abroad (we go to France almost every year) and yet these drivers manage to stay safe on Continental Europe's roads. This is probably down to two main reasons:
    (a) They are fully aware that the police in EU countries are strict on motoring offences, so they take particular care.
    (b) Taking partticular care means that they are driving correctly, and more obedient to the speed limits, road signs, etc.

So, if they can do this whilst driving on the right, with all the normal manoeuvres reversed, then there can be no excuse for not driving in a proper manner when on their own UK roads.

I would argue, they drive better because they are not on familiar ground therefore they stay awake and think about what they are doing. The vast majority of crashes in the UK are due to thoughtless driving. Passenger in the driving seat syndrome.

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    I would argue, they drive better because they are not on familiar ground therefore they stay awake and think about what they are doing. The vast majority of crashes in the UK are due to thoughtless driving. Passenger in the driving seat syndrome.
    In a roundabout way (no pun intended) we are basically saying the same thing. They are driving in a proper manner; which includes staying awake and thoughtful driving.

Right, so this is what the road safety effort should be directed at then, education.

Right, so this is what the road safety effort should be directed at then, education.
    Let's say we agree on that. But would not driving shool instructors claim that they do just that? And yet it seems that the education given does not register in the long term memory. Hold on, how can that be so, when the same drivers in many cases have employment where their training has to be held in their long term memories?
    So, is it how the training is given? What changes could be implemented to remedy this failure to educate drivers properly? A view which is bound to irritate driving instructors, who will say that their teaching methods are adequate.
    Which brings us to the question, "Who are we to blame for this lack of education?"
    But, if the education is lacking, why are some drivers very good, even with the same tuition?
    And how can it be a long-term memory problem, if elderly drivers are "doing the right thing"? Not wishing to get into an argument on that one! - just basing my observations on insurance premium statistics.
    Probably a chicken-and-egg situation!

Driving instructors teach pupils to pass the driving test, this is different to teaching good driving practice. The remedy is to change the test, I do not mean more paper or computer game type tests, the test should be testing basic road craft. Young males, I was one once!, will always be a problem, I think a session or two on a track would help to sort this out on the principle that drivers usually drive just below their fear threshold. The biggest problem is the cars themselves, the more they attempt to help and protect the driver, the more thoughtless the driver will become, this is basic human nature. Also authorities attempts to sanitise the motoring environment again encourages drivers to be ever more complacent. Add to this, the fashion developed over the last 20 -30 years for ‘self’ and its consequential carelessness toward others, the only answer is to get drivers to a point where they actually understand what they need to do to drive at a much lower risk level. If a driver cannot see or understand the risks then he/she will continue to drive with an un-reasonably high-risk level.

Driving instructors teach pupils to pass the driving test, this is different to teaching good driving practice.
    Ho,ho! wagolynn, I reckon you've gone in with size 12 boots on the feet of driving instructors with that one. better get down behind the parapet, pronto!

Thanks for the tip-off Snowball, should I leave the country?

Well, if you do, wagolynn, don't go somewhere nice and warm and exotic. I don't want to end up being green with envy; or lose my beauty sleep by having to sit up so that I can hate you for longer!

I will bare that in mind Snowball.