Thread: Ford Focus Dash Problem...

Default Ford Focus Dash Problem...

Hi,

In the last two weeks I have noticed that my dash, although lighting up, the speedo, milometer, fuel gauge and temp gauge have not been functioning. This is very hit and miss as I say, sometimes it is fine - but obviously its far from ideal and more to the point illegal!
    Also, in that time my battery has also died, but been replaced - however the dash problem still exists. Has anyone experienced anything similar or have any idea what it could be?

Quote Originally Posted by FrustratedFord View Post
    Hi,

In the last two weeks I have noticed that my dash, although lighting up, the speedo, milometer, fuel gauge and temp gauge have not been functioning. This is very hit and miss as I say, sometimes it is fine - but obviously its far from ideal and more to the point illegal!
    Also, in that time my battery has also died, but been replaced - however the dash problem still exists. Has anyone experienced anything similar or have any idea what it could be?
    hi, welcome to the site
    what age is your car, i seem to remember the early focus had a problem with the dash, im not sure why but it means a new instrument cluster/dash, i found this post, have a read and see if your problem is the same

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:01 PM
    Hi all, I have an '02 Focus with just over 80,000 miles on it.

I started having issues with the dash pod. Driving along the speedo would simply drop to zero. Performance of the car was affected, and the digital display would show horizontal lines instead of trip mileage etc. The engine management light would also illuminate. Most of the time this would all come back on, depending on how long the journey was.

Did lots of research on the internet, was advised (not on here) not to bother with the diagnostic as it was a waste of money, just get the pod changed under the discounted offer.

It went on today and had the pod replaced for 99. Went and collected the car, drove it out and the speedo wouldnt work. Went straight back in and they asked if I had the fault diagnosed or was I just going off what I heard on the internet. Obviously I had to tell them it wasnt diagnosed. The service tech took great delight then in telling me I should have had it diagnosed as it could be all sorts of things from the gearbox speed sensor, to the wiring, to a faulty earth to the ABS. I then showed him under the bonnet that it doesnt have ABS. Basically he wasnt interested. They had been paid to replace a pod and thats what they had done. Should this have been road tested after it was installed? If it was road tested they would have immediately seen the fault as the trip and odometer were both reading 0.0 and 0 respectively.

I then said I will look into it some more. On the way home the speedo started working again, but only for a few minutes till I stopped at the lights and it died again. In a 2.5 mile journey the odomoeter racked up 0.6 miles. There was however no issue with the engine management light and performance wasnt affected this time. And the trip and odometer didnt 'line out'.

Is the service tech right in that it could be one of many things here? Am I now looking at having to get the diagnostic done that I was advised not to get in

Similar to that, but when my dash fails to register any reading after switching on, nothing ever changes - when I start her up and the dash works it stays fine until I turn it off

all i did was google "Ford Focus Dash Problem... " 100's of link's, but you might be better off going on to a ford forum like ford focus owners club ffoc.co.uk as im not a expert

This should be in the Technical and Maintenance section. At the top is a sticky which tells you all about the Ford Focus dash in huge detail. Replies: 394
    Views: 262,445
    Last edited by Hometune; 24-11-11 at 23:43.