Thread: caesarean section

Default caesarean section

Hi there, as the phone lines are down, i thought i'd post on here to see if anyone knows........ how long after a caesarean section until i am allowed to drive again? i am insured with the rac. some companies say 4 weeks, some say 6 weeks! Thankyou in advance!

After most surgeries it's 6 weeks however consider the fact as to wether you will really be fit to drive also would you br able to take evasive action when driving with put causing injury to yourself.

Personally I would leave it as long as you can.

Miss breakdown

Thankyou! Finally got through on the phone - they said if my gp says i am fit to drive then i can do so. Thanks again.

from caesarean.org.uk

How soon after a caesarean can I drive?

There is no set time before you can drive again. However, it is important that you are able to be in full control of the vehicle, and this would include being able to do an emergency stop, without hesitation due to pain or even the fear of pain.

There is also the issue of insurance, although most insurance companies will be able to reassure you that your cover would not be affected, it is worth making sure that yours is not an exception. Occasionally companies will advise getting written comfirmation from a doctor that you are fit to drive.

Most women do not feel fit to drive for a few weeks after a caesarean, and it has been common for women to be informed not to drive for 6 weeks. It is likely that this advice was linked to the timing of the routine postnatal follow up appointment which used to take place around 6 weeks after the birth. Providing you are recovering well, and that you have checked your insurance cover, it may be possible to drive safely before this time.

I was expecting this to be linked to the recent news headlines of women not being able to choose.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDanno View Post
    I was expecting this to be linked to the recent news headlines of women not being able to choose.
    That was a non-deliberate pun, I presume?