Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hundreds Snared In Uninsured Driver Action

Default Hundreds Snared In Uninsured Driver Action

Hundreds Snared In Uninsured Driver Action
    Wed, 16 November 2011

Determined Metropolitan Police officers have voiced satisfaction after a second day of action targeting uninsured drivers saw 400 vehicles taken off the road.

The Force has confirmed that more than 70 people were arrested during a crackdown on November 15 in which officers from all 32 London boroughs were involved.

The action was underpinned by traffic police and the Territorial Support Group. The Safer Transport Command and Heathrow Airport were also involved while officers from the City of London Police targeted offenders in their area.

Previous action in October saw nearly 560 vehicles seized and 76 arrests made. The move follows Commissioner Bernard Hogan-Howe's "total policing" commitment, which aims to target criminals and disrupt their activities.

Suspected offences detected included handling stolen goods, possession of offensive weapons, drugs possession with intent to supply and driving while disqualified.

Cdr Steve Watson, who led the operation, said: "I am pleased to see that even more uninsured drivers have been taken off the Capital's roads in the second day of action.

"The Metropolitan Police will not tolerate uninsured driving and we will continue to work to seize uninsured vehicles. Our message to uninsured drivers is to get it sorted immediately."

In 2010 the MPS seized 34,000 vehicles and prosecuted thousands of people.

We could have had the same results in Birmingham as ANPR camera`s were installed in certain area`s of the city,but after this human rights of ethnic minorities the cameras were deamed illegal and had to be taken town

Quote..." Birmingham as ANPR camera`s were installed in certain area`s of the city,"

Yea! I just wonder where them places were?
    We see plod driving round our area with their camera car, but Ive never seen them in the posher part of the village?

i can remember hearing on one of those tv police shows that somewhere, it might be shefield has the largest number of uninsured vehicles per head of population

Quote Originally Posted by davesdad View Post
    We could have had the same results in Birmingham as ANPR camera`s were installed in certain area`s of the city,but after this human rights of ethnic minorities the cameras were deamed illegal and had to be taken town
    Removal for this reason would be illegal, since doing that for one section of the community is discriminatory under the law.

Think its Bradford, hence the quote of 35,000 for insurance for a 25 year old driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometune View Post
    Think its Bradford, hence the quote of 35,000 for insurance for a 25 year old driver.
    We have friends in Bradford. Whilst meeting them recently on holiday, he tols me that a woman in Bradford was quoted 58,000, and taxi drivers were bitterly complaining that their renewal premiums were hitting 40,000. This situation, in my opinion, has been allowed to develop due to (a) complacency in some quarters, and (b) greedy opportunism in others.

There is a high incidence of scams in Bradford involving crashes and fictitious claims companies. Some Leeds residents who have a BD postcode are applying to have it changed to LS as it affects their insurance policies. Very common to see a claim for 4 whiplash injuries even though just the driver at the time of the 'accident'. This scam costs 40 on each insurance policy that we have to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Removal for this reason would be illegal, since doing that for one section of the community is discriminatory under the law.
    Yes but why are they allowed in other parts of the city, they were installed in the area`s as it is known as area`s of uninsured TOP OF THE RANGE VEHICLES and I mean top of the range,you cannt move anywhere if the City of London`s square mile without being tracked if required right thro the city

davesdad, regarding your comment in post#2, if I lived in that area I would have challenged the authorities to prove the legality of their decision to remove the cameras. It is certainly not legal to give any preferential treatment to one section/area of a community to assist evasion of the law; where that treatment does not exist in other areas.