Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: car insurance trouble.

Ah! that gives more information about your post, I was a but confused at first? Its just that its quite normal for the owner to have to buy the car back from the insurance company, once they have paid out on the claim.

thank you tommytwotanks.

when i had my own car written off recently 2 miles from home, the recovery people took it to there yard 20 miles away, the insurance company weren't happy with that so they got there contracted salvage company to collect it, and took it to there own yard 125 miles away, i got about 60% of what it would of cost to replace it, less 150 excess of course, bar stewards

did you have to put up a fight? with the insurance i mean.

i wasnt expecting to get my car back, it was too far gone, the chap who phoned up sounded about 22 he sounded ok friendly, said the car was in quite good condition for it's age, but offered me the trade price i feel, he increased it a little when i moaned but said that was it, i just didnt want it drawn out and i need to get another car, as thet didnt supply a hire car while they mucked me about, i work about 40 minutes away, so no car, no wages

i don't want to fight with my own insurance company, i would expect to fight with the 3rd party insurance, but not my own! And I feel now that I have no choice because this insurance man is trying to take the mickey out of me. Imagine telling me I was meant to ask him if it was ok to do something to my own car!!! The most annoying thing is that he is meant to be on my side. Thankyou all for your input, I'll let you know how it goes.

i dont know, but what about getting legal advice (C.A.B) that's free, about if you can seek compensation for you financial loss, if the other driver is at fault

Ah... CAB, thats a good idea. I think I might do that. thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsbirch View Post
    It has been written off because the money to fix it is more than the car is worth! The breaks were nothing to do with the accident, but i would never have had them done is I knew then it was written off. They wrote it off literatly at the 11th hour. They said if I want to keep the car but I would have to pay them 240 plus get a new MOT and another test to prove it was the same car
    Ok here is what has hapened in my eyes.

The car has been written off but they are offering you to buy it back for 240 which is a % of what they value the car at.
    A new mot may be required by your insurance company so they may be sayying they want one if you stay with them.
    The other test is a vic test (vehicle identity test0 carried out by vosa.This means its a cat c write off.

Sadly paying for work while it was going through a claim was daft,sorry to say that but it was and you would have trouble getting it back in my view.

You could push for more money if it is the first offer and you can prove its not enough going on other values etc.
    Or you buy it back and repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony View Post
    The other test is a vic test (vehicle identity test0 carried out by vosa.This means its a cat c write off.
    There are a few things that still don't gel with me:
    (1)Would not the the insurers need to have the V5 before they could issue a cat.C scrapping order?
    (2)He says that he is still driving the vehicle, and it must therefore have a current MoT, so how can this situation arise?
    (3)Insurers can call a vehicle "scrap" simply because it is cheaper (worth less than repair costs) for them to do so, but does not necessarily have to be unroadworthy.
    (4)Obviously, if he keeps the car, he does not get the "scrap(?)" value, but also does not have to buy the car back, because it is still his property.

I still think there is some mileage in contacting CIB and/or the insurance ombudsman, as the insurer's actions appear to be cloudy, so say the least.