Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: car insurance trouble.

Default car insurance trouble.

wondering if anyone can help me?

5 or 6 days after I had renewed my car insurance for the 7th year with the same company someone crossed my lane on a roundabout anyway the car was damaged.

I had insured my car for 4,000 as I always have done, the car is now written off and the insurance has offerred me 1,270.

After the accident but before the car was considered a write off i had to have the break pipes done costing 200.00. I have asked the insurance to reimburse this money but they won't saying i did not get their authorisation to do this.

Just to clarify, my car was ment to go into the garage last friday to be fixed, on the Thursday afternoon the insurance phoned to say it was written off.

Can my insurance do this? I can't help feeling they are taking me for a fool. Any advice for me?

The value of your car is based on fixed market rates, and has nothing to do with what you paid for it. It was a little premature to have repair work done on the car if it is unroadworthy. If it is roadworthy (are your insurers simply calling it "written off" because the repairs would cost more than its worth?), you don't have to allow them to simply take the car. Although they won't pay anything out, you can have any necessary work done and keep the car.

Thank you for replying.

why do they let you insure it for the wrong amout? i don't understand. It has been written off because the money to fix it is more than the car is worth! The breaks were nothing to do with the accident, but i would never have had them done is I knew then it was written off. They wrote it off literatly at the 11th hour. They said if I want to keep the car but I would have to pay them 240 plus get a new MOT and another test to prove it was the same car

Quote Originally Posted by mrsbirch View Post
    Thank you for replying.

why do they let you insure it for the wrong amout? i don't understand. It has been written off because the money to fix it is more than the car is worth! The breaks were nothing to do with the accident, but i would never have had them done is I knew then it was written off. They wrote it off literatly at the 11th hour. They said if I want to keep the car but I would have to pay them 240 plus get a new MOT and another test to prove it was the same car
    Sorry, but this puzzles me. Why would you have to pay 240 to get the car back? Or is this to do with it being stored somewhere? Prove it is the same car? It has a VIN number, tied in with a registration number, so what more proof do they want?

this was the 1st time I spoke to this man, when he told me the car was written off. At this point he had offerred me 1000. I would have to pay 240.00 and get 760.00 from what was left of the insurance money. The car is not stored, I am still driving it!! Yes an MOT again and (it just passed in August) and another test to prove it was the same car because it had been written off. He gave me a row for not asking permission to fix the breaks..... "I did not give my authorisation, its my discission". I'm really angry.

If you are still driving it, how can they claim it is written off? Tell them you are considering referring it to the insurance ombudsman. Unless there is something that I am not seeing clear, I cannot understand why they are demanding that you pay them to buy a car that you are still driving. Have you incurred any other costs that you owe them?

No i don't owe them anything. The chap said that it was written off because it would cost more to fix the car, than the car was worth, but it goes just fine. The man said, if I wanted to keep the car, they would give me a 1,000 for it but then I would have to give them back something like 25%. Is this rubbish? Can I ask exactly how much it would cost to fix the car? Would they tell me that?

Quote...." "I did not give my authorisation, its my discission". I'm really angry."

Yea! I would be as well, but did you contact them and tell them that you would not be accepting their offer, and that you intended to keep, and run the car?

As far as I understand your post.....you want to take their money that they offered, and use it to pay for the breaks you got replaced, I don't think you can do that, if that is what you mean?

(as you would have to buy the car back from them, once they had paid out on the claim)

No thats not quite right. The car had gone to the garage to be assessed.... it was assessed and a report went back to the ins company, nothing was said to me by the insurance, as far as I was concerned it was getting fixed and this was the case until the day before it was booked into the garage. The accident happened on the 6th Aug, the break pipes were replaced on the 26th August, there was a lull when the 3rd party disputed responcibility. The 1st time I spoke to anyone regarding a write off was the day before it was booked into get fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsbirch View Post
    Thank you for replying.

i can only assume that they want or the recovery people want 240 to delivery it back to you, the other test is the VIC (vehicle identity check) test, from memory about 40, needs a new MOT you can get mot's half price at halfords 27 ish if booked online