Thread: ford mondeo TCDi - Petrol in diesel?

Default ford mondeo TCDi - Petrol in diesel?

Hi,

My girlfriend used the car last night and the 'petrol' light was on so she did me a 'favour' and put 25 in it. she then drove it the couple of miles home. I went to use it this morning and it didnt start first time and took a while to settle down and run normal (ish). whilst driving it for around the first half a mile it felt like it was going to cut out.

As we are planning on using the car a bit tommorrow and i was driving past a petrol station i put another 15 in. drove off, got on a dual carriageway, went to over take someone and it went into limp mode (which it does every now and then but normally only when i really put my foot down). i pulled over and it cut out. Turned it off tried to start and it started first time, so carried on and drove the 25 miles to work.

Whilst i was sat in the car trying to think what could be wrong, I saw the receipt that my girlfriend had left on the seat, had a quick look at it and she has put petrol in!!!, bearing in mind it's probably drove for 30 miles and has had diesel put in on top of it what should i do?? whilst i was sat in the car it seemed to be idling fine

any help / suggestions will be very much appreciated (car is a 2003 Mondeo TDCi 2.0l)

Thanks

Nick

Fill it to the top with diesel and you should be okay. If it was doing to fail, think it would have by now.

Ouch! I understand that the greatest risk is to the turbo bearings, which rely on the oily nature of diesel for lubrication.

A few years ago, I made exactly the same mistake, and realised it when I had put in about 20 worth. I did not start the car, but pushed it off the pumps and had Green Flag take me to the campsite where we were staying. I then removed the sender unit and siphoned the tank virtually dry into containers. The site owner then took me to the garage where I filled two 5 gallon cans, which I poured in through the sender unit opening before refitting it. Then straight back to the garage to fully fill the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Ouch! I understand that the greatest risk is to the turbo bearings, which rely on the oily nature of diesel for lubrication.
    I think you mean the fuel pump bearings Snowball. The early pumps on these were prone to bearing failure which caused a lot of grief. The car has been driven now some 30 miles so hopefully it wont have done any damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometune View Post
    I think you mean the fuel pump bearings Snowball. The early pumps on these were prone to bearing failure which caused a lot of grief. The car has been driven now some 30 miles so hopefully it wont have done any damage.
    You're probably right. I had taken the cans of the mixed fuel for disposal, and the loca ambulance garage obliged. Apparently they have this trouble on a regular basis, and it was one of their mechanics who said the turbo charger might suffer. Something about the bearings of the high-speed vanes assembly. It was a 1997 VW, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by cens2112 View Post
    Hi,

My girlfriend used the car last night and the 'petrol' light was on so she did me a 'favour' and put 25 in it. she then drove it the couple of miles home. I went to use it this morning and it didnt start first time and took a while to settle down and run normal (ish). whilst driving it for around the first half a mile it felt like it was going to cut out.

As we are planning on using the car a bit tommorrow and i was driving past a petrol station i put another 15 in. drove off, got on a dual carriageway, went to over take someone and it went into limp mode (which it does every now and then but normally only when i really put my foot down). i pulled over and it cut out. Turned it off tried to start and it started first time, so carried on and drove the 25 miles to work.

Whilst i was sat in the car trying to think what could be wrong, I saw the receipt that my girlfriend had left on the seat, had a quick look at it and she has put petrol in!!!, bearing in mind it's probably drove for 30 miles and has had diesel put in on top of it what should i do?? whilst i was sat in the car it seemed to be idling fine

any help / suggestions will be very much appreciated (car is a 2003 Mondeo TDCi 2.0l)

Thanks

Nick
    Nice of you to come back and update us and say thank you