Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red traffic Lights

Default Red traffic Lights

So, what does a red light mean on a dual carriageway crossroads then?

hi, in general ........... STOP, but you will have to give us more info than "what does a red light mean on a dual carriageway crossroads then?"

hi, in general ........... STOP
    Any other interpretations of "what does a red light mean on a dual carriageway crossroads then?" ?

what do you think it means then ?

well it can't mean "stop" to every motorist that sees it.
    Let's see if there are any other interpretations.

It obviously means 'STOP' for any driver approaching it in the carriageway for which it applies. I cannot understand the reason for the question, unless there is some cause for concern in the way the red light has been sited; which does occasionally occur. I am presuming it is a red light that is part of a standard traffic-light sequence. As previously suggested, a little more detailed description of the situation would be helpful.

Ok let me elaborate further, do the repeater lights on the far side of the junction mean the same as the two at the front of the junction?

Quote Originally Posted by chopper jockey View Post
    Ok let me elaborate further, do the repeater lights on the far side of the junction mean the same as the two at the front of the junction?
    I would say that, if the 'repeater' lights on the far side of the junction are in phase with those before entering the junction, then they mean STOP during the same period. Where I might have doubts is if there was a pedestrian crossing immediately after, and adjacent to, the red light, because that light would also be red when pedestrians had clearance to cross. I would then expect them not to be in phase. A good way to determine that it is simply a repeater light, is to look for anything beyond the light that COULD require a separate instruction, and if it is NOT in phase with the first light. If the answer to both points is "NO", then it is almost certainly just a repeater light requiring obedience to the first light.

But there are instances where a driver will apparently go through a red light. A few miles from us is a Morrisons supermarket. When exiting the light-controlled junction with the main road, and turning right in accordance with the green GO signal, drivers making that turn pass through a red light which is similarly positioned to the one you describe. Here, there is also a pedestrian crossing adjacent to, and immediately after, this light; but the signals for pedestrians to obey are also at red.

I think every different situation has to be taken on merit, and a red light does normally mean STOP. But it is not impossible for the planners/engineers to make an error; in which case anyone spotting it should raise it with the Highways dept.
    Not so long ago, I did just that concerning a 'left only' road marking on the approach to a traffic island, which I reported as causing a danger. They agreed, and changed it to a 'left' or 'ahead' double arrow.

As a general rule, if a red light on the far side of a junction (in addition to a set of lights before the junction) does not have an accompanying white stop line on the road surface I would assume I am not required to stop there. When the a traffic light is red you are required to stop at the stop line (or, of course, at the back of any queue). If the second set of lights related to, for instance, a pedestrian crossing, there would be an additional stop line.

Quote Originally Posted by Airbag View Post
    As a general rule, if a red light on the far side of a junction (in addition to a set of lights before the junction) does not have an accompanying white stop line on the road surface I would assume I am not required to stop there. When the a traffic light is red you are required to stop at the stop line (or, of course, at the back of any queue). If the second set of lights related to, for instance, a pedestrian crossing, there would be an additional stop line.
    This is more or less what I said previously, but my expanded opinions are based upon what I have actually encountered as I drive around.

As with all road layout architecture (traffic signals included), the planners are not infallable, and an observant driver should spot a failing and take the trouble to refer it to the appropriate authority.