Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At risk and helpless!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    Get out of bed the wrong side this morning, Loony?
    Bed,whats that.Sorry i missed the smiley off my last post,it was supposed to be a bit of a laugh.

That's OK, Loony, I like a good laugh myself. Actually, I have never reported anyone for bad driving in over 50 years of driving; apart from occasionally being a witness for some unfortunate drivers who were not to blame.
    But I would have reported this bus driver. From the length of time between the steel tubes falling into the road into the road and the bus hitting them, the driver had plenty of time to stop. Instead, he put other road users and his own passengers at serious risk. He had no way of knowing where the tubes would end up, or how the bus would behave when its wheels had the tubes between them and the road surface. He certainly would have seen the tubes, unless he wasn't watching the road or had very bad eyesight.
    And I will openly admit that much of my anger towards the bus driver resulted from a very bad scare. As with the other people in cars immediately behind me, they were also in a position of having to hope that they and their vehicles escaped injury.
    I was behind the lorry that shed the load, so my view of the bus before it passed was too brief for me to get any details at all.

It does seem a bit daft for the bus driver not to stop,plus the danger caused by driving over the pipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony View Post
    It does seem a bit daft for the bus driver not to stop,plus the danger caused by driving over the pipes.
    That's what I thought. In the past I've had the odd occasion when it has been necessary to take avoiding action due to another driver making an unexpected manoeuvre (bound to occur at some time over many years of driving) but, with nowhere to hide, in that second or so having to watch and wait to see what would happen was bordering on terrifying.

Some years ago, I was on the M23 southbound. Travelling in the third lane, behind a Volvo 760 estate. We were doing around 70mph, when the Volvo went up on the offside two wheels, and ran in a curve through a break in the central barrier, across the other carriageway where it finally rolled onto its roof, and slid a considerable distance. I was so fascinated in this, that I too found myself up on two wheels, but was lucky enough to clear the break and hit the central reservation kerb beyond the gap which put me down onto four wheels again. We had hit a very large I girder which had acted as a ramp on nearside wheels. I have no excuse as to why I did not see it, but can only put it down to the fact that the Volvo's behaviour was a major distraction. Anyway, upshot was that it took twenty of us to lift the girder across to the hard shoulder after Police had brought traffic to a standstill, and noone was seriously hurt.
    The break has since been closed, as it was only about a year after that a coach caused a multi-car collison trying to U-turn through there. Apparently, he had missed the Gatwick slip.

You could probably still report it to the bus company if you know which company runs that bus and the time and date of the incident. However, The thing that I'd be more concerned about is it was an unsafe load on the part of the scaffolding lorry driver.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDanno View Post
    You could probably still report it to the bus company if you know which company runs that bus and the time and date of the incident. However, The thing that I'd be more concerned about is it was an unsafe load on the part of the scaffolding lorry driver.
    Whilst I fully agree with your sentiments, MrDanno, I do not now think I could take the matter further. The sudden appearance of the bus (we were hidden by the rear of the lorry), prevented any chance of noting the destination and/or route number, or the registration plate, of the bus. There are possibly buses for several different routes that passed around the time of the incident; and the actual time is not really clear now.
    In the split second or so that the bus hit the tubes, all that went through my mind (surprisingly rapidly) was where these tubes were likely to go. I freely admit to a sudden feeling of helpless fear. When the STOP/GO signs were again reversed, the lorry driver reloaded the tubes and our line of traffic moved off, I think we were in a stste of euphoric relief that no serious incident had developed.