Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At risk and helpless!

Default At risk and helpless!

Had a fright this afternoon, when we were tavelling home on the A361 Swindon-to-Burford road. I was driving (well back) behind a lorry carrying scaffolding equipment.
    Suddenly the lorry stopped (behind a queue on a stop/go-man-controlled single file roadworks as it turned out), and I drew to a stop behind him, along with other cars behind me. But, as he was stopping, four or five lengths of steel tubing fell from his lorry onto the opposite carriageway.
    The stop/go had changed, and almost immediately an oncoming double decker service bus came past fairly rapidly, and ignoring the steel tubing scattered in the road; simply driving over them, and continuing on its journey.

There was absolutely nothing I could do but hope that none of the tubing was deflected, resulting in it becoming airbourne and possibly hitting our car and/or one following.

There was no time to get any details of the bus, or I would have reported the driver for gross deliberate carelessness. Most important, of course, is that no vehicle was damaged or persons injured.

a chap that i chat with on one of the forums has mounted a camera on the dash, not sure how though, just in case he see's something or something happen's

Quote Originally Posted by tommytwotanks View Post
    a chap that i chat with on one of the forums has mounted a camera on the dash, not sure how though, just in case he see's something or something happen's
    I have seen these things advertised on line, and there has been a TV programme that included cyclists using them to report driving misdemeanours. I think they received mention on this forum.

The incident shows how wise it is to keep well back from the vehicle in front but, in this case, the scary thing was that it was impossible to predict the likely trajectory of these steel tubes after the bus had hit them. The whole incident was a matter of a few seconds, but watching the bus tangle with the tubes and waiting for the outcome seemed to stretch time.

It reads as though a rapid change of underware my have been required Snowball.

Quote.."a chap that i chat with on one of the forums has mounted a camera on the dash, not sure how though, just in case he see's something or something happen's"

Aye! there is a thread about them cameras on here somewhere, its really interesting as well

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    It reads as though a rapid change of underware my have been required Snowball.
    It was extremely unnerving, wagolynn. I that split second I think my mind went through several scenarios of disaster; all of which were simply in the lap of the Gods.

A few years ago, I was following (at a sensible distance) a lorry on the Six Hills (A46) dual carriageway in north Leicestershire, at about 60mph. As it slowed behind other vehicles at a traffic island, with its wheels turning slowly, I noticed what appeared to be half a house brick wedged between its l/h rear double wheels. I did a complete circuit of the island to allow the lorry to get a good distance in front, and dropped my speed slightly to ensure I did not catch it up again.

As a slight aside, I picked up a keyfob camera on fleabay a couple of weeks ago. It records for about an hou and a half, and the picture quality is definitely acceptable. (There are a number of videos on youtube showing quality.) Cost me 7.50 inc p&p, and a further 6 for a micro SD card. I stick it on the dash with a bit of Blu-Tak. (There are also numerous Internet articles about fitting bigger batteries to record longer.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    As a slight aside, I picked up a keyfob camera on fleabay a couple of weeks ago. It records for about an hou and a half, and the picture quality is definitely acceptable. (There are a number of videos on youtube showing quality.) Cost me 7.50 inc p&p, and a further 6 for a micro SD card. I stick it on the dash with a bit of Blu-Tak. (There are also numerous Internet articles about fitting bigger batteries to record longer.)
    There good i just hope yours lasts longer than mine did as it broke afte 3 months.Still it was cheap i suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    There was no time to get any details of the bus, or I would have reported the driver for gross deliberate carelessness. Most important, of course, is that no vehicle was damaged or persons injured.
    I hope I never meet you on the road.
    Crikey everywhere you go you are a witness to driving without due care and attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony View Post
    I hope I never meet you on the road.
    Crikey everywhere you go you are a witness to driving without due care and attention.
    Get out of bed the wrong side this morning, Loony?