Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Used cars top official complaints list, says OFT

My girlfriend is looking for a car for around 1,000 - 1,500 for her daughter who has just passed her test. For insurance reasons they would like a Renault Clio (not the dreaded 16 valve one though ) so went today with them to look at a low mileage car at a trader a few miles away.
    The trader opened up with, 'I'll be honest with you, it needs a window regulator which I'll replace before you buy it. Its HPI clear. My daughter's boyfriend was going to have it..... blah blah blah.'

The bonnet had been filled with filler, the front wings did not line up with the doors or bonnet and the almost matt effect paint spray was on the window and door rubber seals all over the car.

I said, 'This car has been in an accident, looking at all this damage.' 'Oh no', he said, 'its just had some paint.' I said, 'I've been in this trade 40 years so dont try that.' He was less than amused and we left. What a waste of time that was and some unfortunate person will end up paying way over the odds for a car worth 200.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometune View Post
    Wagolynn, your dictionary must be more up to date than mine. My dictionary says commerce (in the used car market) = lying, thieving, swindling, conning, cheating, and all words associated.
    Hitting nails on the head comes to mind here Hometune...

I travelled some distance to look at a car, described as 'immaculate' by the seller, a trader. On arrival, first thing I noticed was a damaged wing. I asked how this car could be described as 'immaculate' with a very noticeable dent in the wing, to which the trader stated it had only just happened as one of the salesmen drove it out of the showroom ready for my visit. It was obviously an 'old' dent as the paint was already bubbling with the rust forming underneath. I asked for a payment to offset the amount I had spent on fuel for the journey. He initially refused, but after I pointed out that if I wanted to look at junk, I would have visited my local scrappy, and that I had wasted my fuel under false pretences, he very begrudgingly refunded my costs.

To be fair though, I went wiith a friend to look at an automatic for his wife. The car seemed good, so he bought it. After a couple of weeks, the heated rear window packed up, and the exhaust developed a blow. A phone call was made, and the guy agreed that we should sort out the HRW ourselves, and he would reimburse for any parts needed, and that the car should be taken to an exhaust place for the blow to be sorted. The HRW was a switch, 37, and the exhuast centre told us it had the wrong exhause fitted. (A diesel system as opposed to the one for an automatic petrol.) This was replaced at a cost of 148. We took the receipts back to the dealer, and he passed over the cash with no argument.

I am sure there are good traders, they can't all be bad. I do work for a few traders and I have seen all these dodges I have mentioned, for myself. I do think though that as the recession hits more people, this situation will get worse. More corners will be cut to make a sale in an ever decreasing market.

Aye! its a pity the bloke never made pictures of the car available, before you wasted all that time travelling to see it?

When I got our one on Ebay, the bloke had pictures of the car that gave you a 100% visual of it, so before I set off on the 2 hour drive, I had a fair idea of what to expect, and I wasn't disappointed.