Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 100,000+ petition gets government to debate fuel prices

Quote Originally Posted by davesdad View Post
    you may feel it is a good time to email your MP with your views and get him/her to attend. [/COLOR]
    as if they are bothered what you think,most likly away on some jolly[/QUOTE]

If that's the way you feel, as I said, it's up to individuals.

To my mind, if people can whine about an issue (and that's NOTdirected personally Dave'sdad) then they can find the time to whinge to the right people. I was a whinger and sometimes still am, but I have seven major complaints under investigation including mis-use of funds and illegal finacial procedures. I've won two, saving me around 20k .
    Last edited by ficklejade; 03-11-11 at 23:55. Reason: word omitted - corrected meaning

Quote Originally Posted by tommytwotanks View Post
    if this campain/petition works, how many of the doubters will be happy to pay less
    A hell of a lot who couldn't be bothered to get off their backsides and do something. Right selfish the majority are when they can moan but don't do owt.

That's part of the reason I made the comments above. If it weren't for the apathy of the general public, that petition would have gone in with millions of signatories.

However, do motorists care? Locally, Asda is selling petrol at 129.7 (yes .7) Tesco 131.9 (two stores) Morrison 130.9 and Jet varies almost daily in the range 135.9 to 132.9. Asda is very slightly off the beaten track; hence, they are busy but not overly so.

Cheapest on mainland near us 137.9 unleaded. I pay on island 12p per litre more yet actual cost of getting fuel over is under 3p. You have just illustrated the free market economy. What the free market economy is utterly incapable of doing is to take into account the fiscal limits of individuals/households, including fluidity of individuals/jobs/housing and so forth and, increasingly important, essential food. Even if the motorist takes some or all of these into account, they possibly might not have thought about the cost in providing essential services such as water, sewage treatments, the cost of providing educational supplies, fire and rescue services and the ambulance services.

Personally, it is about time that Gov't bit the bullet, given glocal economic meltdown, and imposed legislation, albeit time-limited to stop these huge pump price differentials. If they don't, they are going to be facing a much greater crisis with people unable to sell houses/buy elsewhere, jobs disappearing and the burden on the state increasing. How many uncaring folks are going to accept their apathy played a part in this?

The government is unlikely to produce any concessions unless they find another source (or sources) to make up the shortfall. The question then would be, " who pays the price?" Increase in VED rates, which nobody can circumvent? Unlike fuel usage, which can at least be economised upon by many who really need to save on costs. One example being pensioners who must use their vehicles in some instances, but can revert to use of their free bus passes in others.

Every time a government changes something, out comes the excuse that there will be winners and losers. Problem is, the winners can be those with padded wallets, and the losers those who are the most cash-strapped.

I have signed alot of the online e-petitions for all kinds of worthy causes and the outcome was always the same. It did nothing to change things at all, So these days I won't waste my time on them.

The government won't sit up and take notice of anyone regardless of their position or the quantity of them.

When you have one of the worlds greatest brain surgeons standing on TV and saying how the NHS is wasting millions each year by throwing away equipment after just 1 use, If they won't listen to him what makes you think they'll listen to anyone?

The main problem with the government is most of them are not at all qualified for the subjects they are working in. Anyone remember when we had a minister for roads who didn't even have a driving licence?

It is like alot of businesses. The bigger they get, The more wasteful they become and unlike most businesses the governments customers cannot chose to go elsewhere and we cannot haggle with the prices either.

A bumper sticker I saw sums it up "Don't steal, The government don't like competition!"

Your correct MrDanno, but it is an enormous can of worms to open.

Quote..." It did nothing to change things at all, So these days I won't waste my time on them."

Aye! exactly, that's why I always say, actions speak louder then words! We should have a National boycott!

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Quote..." It did nothing to change things at all, So these days I won't waste my time on them."

Aye! exactly, that's why I always say, actions speak louder then words! We should have a National boycott!
    We have Smudger; he commentates on cricket these days...