Thread: Fiat Punto 1.2 ELX bonnet release problem

Default Fiat Punto 1.2 ELX bonnet release problem

Ok just had the day from hell with my punto.

Had my exhaust ripped from under the car by hitting a very large pothole in the road doing 50mph. had that fixed (at great expense through quick fit)
    Got the car home all working fine, went to check the oil and fill up the water for the wipers only for my bonnet release under the dash to sieze up, tried to pull the lever a lil extra to try and open it only for the release switch to snap off the bolts i not have a snapped bonnet release lever that is useless and a bonnet that has siezed shut.
    I was wondering how do i get the bonnet open to check of the cable has snapped or the mechanism has siezed up.
    Also does anyone know how to five the release lever or where i can buy another from? would a scrap yard be my best bet or am i better putting it in a garage to get it done (god only knows how much it would cost, cost just shy of 200 to get my exhaust and the damaged it caused to be fixed.)

Any help would be a huge help

Scrapyard is the best bet for a new handle. If you can get a pair of pliers on the end of the cable, pull the cable with them while someone pushes DOWN on the front of the bonnet. This should release it, then lift up.

As home tune said if that doesnt work If you jack the car up make sure it's supported you may be able see the bonnet mechanism and release it from underneath you need long arms though.

Miss breakdown

Thanks for the advice miss breakdown but the bonnet release wont work at all it seems to have either snapped or come off the other end. how hard is it to replace the cable?

This problem was covered a few times before and it depends on the age of the car as to what type it is.

You'll find some useful info here http://www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthrea...o-bonnet-cable

I jacked up the car, placed it on a stand on the passenger side, and reached up underneath. I've videoed it - quick to do once you see it.
    http://bit.ly/Yh1dQ9