Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bmw 323i 1996 wont rev over 4000rpm then cuts out

Default bmw 323i 1996 wont rev over 4000rpm then cuts out

i am looking for any advice to help cure this problem i have replaced the spark plugs camshaft sensor checked the injectors and feul and air supplies airflow meter is working no warning lights appearing either it idles fine wont rev past 4000rpm then slowly cuts out as for driving 20mph is a dream at the moment car is very juddery and cuts out i have just about lost patience with it so any ideas would be great thanks

Ensure the crankcase breather is not blocked. Common fault. Also, check the rubber tubing between the airflow sensor and the throttle body VERY carefully as they have a tendency to split and allow unmetered air in so weakening the mixture too much. You are best removing it and feeling it carefully by hand. Also, a lack of power and revs can be caused by a blockage in the exhaust, usually the cat. To test,either slacken off the exhaust manifold, disconnect the cat at the front or remove the upstream oxygen sensors to see if it will rev up better.
    Or you could have a diagnostic check done to see what the fuelling is through the engine which might help.

had a recovery vehicle out to it tonight and he told me diagnostics machine which he doesnt have or the cat had collapsed but then checked the exausht gas and there was plenty coming out so no blockage then said it could be a coil pack failing but it idles fine starts fine only starts playing up once you put any load through the throttle i.e revving and followed that by saying there is no simple checks for this problem then the temprature spiked and pressure built up in the radiator and connecting hoses but this has only happened the once and there is no oil or residue inside filler bottle or white marks round oil filler cap which then led him to suggest the fan may be faulty so i am left even more confused than when i started

This must be an airleak somewhere if I'm correct there's an oil breather pipe under the inlet manifold it can cause this if it comes out if the car is running lean this will cause the temp to go up and it won't produce a fault code hence no warning light.

Miss Breakdown

but will this cure the original problem i will certainley have a go but i think i know the pipe you mean and it is connected and if it is at fault would it cause the pressure to build quite significantly in the radiator pipes themselves?

It may do the problem is I don't have the car in front of me which would be a lot easier so can't see it and how it'd behaving. If it's not that diagnostics on live readings may be the only way to find the fault.

Miss Breakdown

okay thanks i will try checking the pipe in the morning and shall report back on my findings

checked all hoses and pipes there all ok and intact so i have purchased a new coil pack and will now try this

I think the diagnostic route may be the only way to stop you throwing money at the car.

i think that may be the next port of call as ive now changed the coil packs and still made no diff i thought when i called the breakdown service out they would have had that but apparently they do not carry such items for the vehicle in question