Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford Focus that won't start

Default Ford Focus that won't start

hi,
    I have a 2001 Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec Collection which won't start. we went out on a long journey yesterday and the car was fine. We were home for less that 10 minutes and my husband went to pop out and the car initally started and then stopped and now it won't start at all. It is turning over as if it is going to start but just won't "catch".
    It has plenty of petrol and the battery is also fine.
    any thoughts?

With the doors and windows closed and you turn the key to the position where all the lights on the dash come on, can you hear a faint noise from the rear for about 4 secs which would indicate the fuel pump is running? It will be a whine or buzz and may be fairly quiet.
    Have you got a spark at all 4 plugs? If the number one does not fire then the rest will not either.

Altho a car can run fine on a journey,the parts are constantly in use & do wear out.So as above check you have a good spark,if it appears week then change plugs also look at condition of plugs if they are grey/brown at electrode end they are in good but do look for any signs they have seen better days.Whilst you changing plugs i'd recommend new HT leads too,as they work together.As hometune said with ignition on (instrument lights but not turning over listen for a humming noise for a few seconds this is the fuel pump kicking in & normal no noise then you need to check relay in fuse box (behind glove box) before you start replacing a fuel system part (ie pump).If all ok you might have a immobiliser or sensor issue (cam sensor maybe),to find these the car will have to go on diagnostic machine.
    Just a thought is it possible to bump start the car as this might narrow the down the fault.

Default thanks for the advise

hi,

well there is total silence when I turn the key !!!! we have someone coming out to it later today so I will mention all your points
    will let you know
    thanks again
    Yvonne

If the relay isnt in the central fuse box (behind glove box) there's an auxiliary fuse box under bonnet at the back on the passenger side.You may need to get a replacement from main dealer,just check with your local car shop they will tell you.

These do have a habit of blowing the fuel pump fuse as the pump can stick worth checking first.

Miss Breakdown
    Last edited by Miss Breakdown; 05-09-11 at 18:42.

fuse 12 under the bonnet which is a blue 15 amp fuse has probably blown.the fuel pump is starting to sieze which draws more than the 15 amp fuse can cope with and to stop a fire it blows.ideally needs to check how much current is being drawn from the pump before just replacing the fuse and carrying on driving

hi all newbie here, i have the same problem as above any more suggestions please thanks

Welcome to the site johnnypoe, have you tried any of the solutions mentioned in the earlier posts yet?

hi smudger yes tried all my 15 fuse was blown changed that but still nothing i beleave what iv read the fuel pump as gone hope not