Thread: Hard to change gears in Vauxhall Corsa

Default Hard to change gears in Vauxhall Corsa

Hi all,

I bought my very first car last weekend, good service history, low mileage, 1999 Vauxhall Corsa (1.0). It has MOT until next March and was certainly the best car I could find for the money I was prepared to pay (not very much!). I hadn't driven for a few years, although have had my licence for 3, so this week I just quietly practised around my local area and was just starting to get more confident until at the end of a longish journey yesterday I found that I couldn't shift down from 3rd to 2nd at all. The clutch pedal went down normally but the gear just wouldn't go in. Luckily we were very close to home and my street is downhill! This morning I took it for a test drive and this time I could get into 1st and 2nd, but it seemed harder than it had been at the beginning of the week. Finally when I discovered it made a grinding noise going into reverse I took it to a local garage and he adjusted the clutch - now changes gear fine. However, he said it was now 'fully adjusted' and I would need a new clutch fairly soon.

I know nothing about the mechanics of this and I don't want to be taken for a ride by a garage, but equally I don't want to drive a car that might at any point stop going into gear. Can anyone diagnose what might be wrong with it and how long it'll go before I have the same problem again?

PS As far as I can tell (not having a massive amount of experience!) there aren't any other problems with the clutch like slipping, and the biting point seems normal ie somewhere in the middle.

Quote.."I bought my very first car last weekend, good service history, low mileage, 1999 Vauxhall Corsa (1.0)."

Did you buy the car from a garage or dealer, or was it a private sale? Just asking as you might have some "come back" if was through a dealer.
    Hope one of the site Gurus will be able to help you, good luck.

Oh good point, it was from a local garage so perhaps I can get on to them about it if it does need imminent repairs. Although as it was such a low-price sale I wasn't offered any warranty.

Quote.." Although as it was such a low-price sale I wasn't offered any warranty."

Oh! dear, that doesn't sound so good, but its still worth asking them

A trader/dealer has to repair your car for the first 6 months after you bought it. Its the law. He will tell you different as he doesn't want to pay out for a new clutch. You should take the car back to him and tell him to repair your car at no cost to yourself. Consumer Direct can advise you on this and if necessary forward the complaint to Trading Standards. It does sound as though the clutch is well worn as crunching when going into reverse is a sure sign it is failing badly. Therefore, you must go back as soon as possible or the dealer will try and say your driving style has caused the failure.

hi, did you find out what was wrong with yours? as mines doing the exact same thing and wont change into reverse and struggles to go into 1st/2nd/3rd
    cheers

Borntofish15

Reply on your thread this can be a clutch or gear linkage problem.

Miss Breakdown

Quote Originally Posted by borntofish15 View Post
    hi, did you find out what was wrong with yours? as mines doing the exact same thing and wont change into reverse and struggles to go into 1st/2nd/3rd
    cheers
    Please do not double post as this becomes confusing. There are answers on your original post.