Thread: BMW 320d 2004 fault codes P1278 and P1252

Default BMW 320d 2004 fault codes P1278 and P1252

Hi there was wondering if anyone an help me out a friend borrowed a 320d when he landed at my house the car was runnin very lumpy there is a hard diesil knock oming from it at around 4-5 thousand revs i put my code reader one it which firstly brought the fault code p1278 up after runnin the car for another while the fault code p1252 also appeared the car doesnt sound like a flap has came of the inlet as there is no hard rattles can any1 help he has to return the car tomorrow and isnt looking forward to it at the minute thanks

P1278 = BMW code 4B10 Vibration controller - Correction value too high.

P1252 = BMW code 4191 Charge air pressure actuator - Short circuit to ground.

It seems you have a turbo problem or to be more precise a turbo control problem.

Yes, agree. It has a variable vane turbo which might be stuck - common on this type of turbo - or the sensor that detects the amount of movement may be faulty.

Hi guys

Many thanks for replies have been stuck under bonnent preformed a compression test on the vechile and got low compression in cylinder 1 and 2 also discovered there were two missing swirl flaps so stripped the head to discover 8 bent valves in first two cylinders. now i am very scared that the turbo has taken damaged as the swirl flap cant be found in the engine cheers guys