Poll: Do you think the hazard lights are effective on the motorway hard shoulder?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hazard warning lights on vehicles on the hard shoulder of the motorway

Default Hazard warning lights on vehicles on the hard shoulder of the motorway

250 people are killed each year waiting for assistance when a vehicle breaksdown on the hard shoulder. With the hard shoulder now being used as a live running instead of widening the carriageway and the planned increase to the speed limit this figure is likely to rise.

Yes it all part of this mad idea that traffic must be kept moving at any cost, even death or injuries.

Quote.." With the hard shoulder now being used as a live running"

I never knew that, when did that start then, I knew it was used by the emergency services to get to incidents.

Hi

The M42 uses the hard shoulder as a running lane along with, i think its the m60 and one other at preasant. Not be susprised if the m25 starts this soon.

Ah! I never knew that, I haven't been driving down South in years, I did hear some talk about it on the Radio 2 phone in a while ago.

Quote Originally Posted by wobble2 View Post
    250 people are killed each year waiting for assistance when a vehicle breaksdown on the hard shoulder. With the hard shoulder now being used as a live running instead of widening the carriageway and the planned increase to the speed limit this figure is likely to rise.
    It is no where near 250 people a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony View Post
    It is no where near 250 people a year.
    It's about 20, and they're not all waiting for assistance.

Some are killed when providing assistance, which is especially tragic.

Some are pedestrians.

I started a thread about the M42 hard shoulder quite a while ago. I think it is the most irresponsible, reckless piece of stupidiy I have yet come across. I came round it at about 5.30pm, and was stuck in Lane 1 crawling at about 10mph, then you get cars suddenly pulling out from behind at Warp Factor 9, tearing past, then forming their own queue on the hard shoulder trying to force their way back onto Lane 1 at the off-slips.
    As for hazards, if they were only used as they should be, they would be more effective everywhere, it is the pillocks who use them for parking where they shouldn't that ruin their effectiveness.
    I would also question the figure of 250, and ask where that figure was obtained?
    Last edited by Rolebama; 11-10-11 at 10:26.

If it is made legal to use the hard shoulder on one motorway it is bound to un-officially spread. Of course the people that die on the hard shoulder because the emergency services could not get there will have to be sacrificed to the god of moving traffic...

Re hazards and parking, the pillocks are a hazard, parked or driving, so perhaps it could be correct to use the hazard lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    I would also question the figure of 250, and ask where that figure was obtained?
    I would like to know too Rolebama.

To give a true number though these are the figures from a few years ago.

2001 12 123

2002 16 111

2003 8 81

2004 3 113

The second figure is for injuries.