Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smart Car.

I had an Imp when I was young Smudger, Mind you it was modified with Monte carlo springs and a 1040cc engine plus lots of other bits I did to it.

Are you running your fuel usage on Fuelly ? I'd be interested to see the real MPG you get. Do you have the peanut shape headlamps or the later ones?

Yea! Mrdanno, it does have the Peanut shaped headlights, I read on the Smart car site that all the lights are shaped like one kind of nut.

I haven't done a MPG check yet, as I am not doing enough driving just now, with Mk2 feeling unwell, bit I will as soon as I can, as I want to know for myself.

After all, that was the whole idea of buying it

Quote.."I had an Imp when I was young Smudger,"

I had two, back in the 70s, "K" reg. but it had a Sunbeam badge on it, then an "N" reg. one, that was a bright yellow colour.

When we were out for a trip to Loch Ness, we came back to that car, only to find that a swarm of wasps all over (and inside it!) Got rid of it right after that

They were great fun to drive, and this wee Smart car reminds me of that time!

Singer Chamois Sport and Sunbeam Imp Sport both superb cars for less than 900 and could give any car these days a run for their money mpg and mph wise. Awesome handling too and, more important, could be fixed with the contents af a tool box in your garage. Where did the motor industry go wrong? Nice car your Smart Smudger.

Aye! MM, these days you have to hook your car up to a computer, before you can pop the bonnet?

Another thing about them Imps, they were so close to the ground the grip was just amazing. I really enjoy driving this wee Smart car, especially on corners with its rear wheel drive and the wheels placed right at each corner,make it just amazing to drive

Didnt know they were RWD.

Aye! same as the Imps, it has a 3cylider engine 680cc, you fill the radiator and screen wash from under them wee grills at the front, its a quirky wee thing and real spacious inside, considering its size, and really nippy around town as well. The best thing is the way it can cruise at 70 just doing 3000 revs, when in its the 6th gear.

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Aye! same as the Imps, it has a 3cylider engine 680cc, you fill the radiator and screen wash from under them wee grills at the front, its a quirky wee thing and real spacious inside, considering its size, and really nippy around town as well. The best thing is the way it can cruise at 70 just doing 3000 revs, when in its the 6th gear.
    that is not either a bad speed in 6th gear.

This was a mistake post?
    Last edited by smudger; 04-09-12 at 22:01.

Welcome to the sitejaycube, its amazing really for such a small engine, and if I use the cruise control, it can do around 70 Mpg on long motorway runs.

The engine doest seem to be labouring at all at 3.000 revs, in fact I used to get the same cruising speed on my old Renault 25 and that was a 2Ltr.