Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: London's low emission zone

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis W View Post
    I believe that if your Land Rover is fitted with seats it could possibly be classified as a Mini Bus. Is it a 110 Land Rover?
    How would that help - there is no exemption for minibusses

Quote Originally Posted by landroverman View Post
    I own a 1999 diesel Landrover 110 and have just received notice from Transport for London that my vehicle will not meet the emission standards in 2012. The options I have are:

[LIST]
    Buy a vehicle dated 2002 or later
    Pay a daily fee to go into London (the zone is almost everywhere within the M25) of 100 per day
    Fit a filter to my Landrover[\LIST]

Upon contacting a few of the suppliers referenced in the notice I find the cost of a filter to be about 1200 plus 200 fitting charge plus an annual test fee of 40.

This seems to me to be action against the (usually poorer) owners of older diesel vehicles. I wonder if it is legal and, if so, can it be challenged. Maybe it is part of a clean-up usually carried out by the hosts of olympics, etc - ship out the down and outs, clear the boat people and get rid of old Landrovers!

Comments and suggestions very welcome.
    I wonder whether they will apply the same rules to the Ministry of Defence fleet of Land Rovers as well as Utility companies and Construction vehicles?

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    How would that help - there is no exemption for minibusses
    I very rarely drive in London, I was also getting it mixed up with the congestion charge.

If they carry on victimising ordinary law abiding drivers, then they will run the risk of encouraging more people to put false number plates on their vehicles, perhaps?

I am hearing stories of builders, plumbers, electricians and the like who will not enter the LEZ because they see that the vehicles they have currently being 'banned', then the replacement in a few years. They are not prepared to keep swapping vehicles. The Borough I live in is entirely within the LEZ, and they are getting complaints from householders now. As for the workmen, they are finding enough work outsided the Borough, and parking their vans in more rural areas. Some have given up completely and are working for others who supply vans. Another wonderful plan that just wasn't thought through.