Thread: Motorcycles on the continent

Cool Motorcycles on the continent

I have a couple of questions regarding taking motorcycles into europe.
    1. Displaying of GB sticker, is this compulsory for motorcycles?
    2.Headlamp beam deflectors, again are these mandatory?

I ask this as I have on a number of occasions travelled in France/Belgium withouit either of the above; and cannot seem to get a definative answer, but am almost certainj that the answer to No.1 is no..but unsure as to No.2

anyone can give me the definative rules on this?

I do know that requirements for bikes and cars are different; ie; no need to carry warning triange....but I do

Hallo Nivram
    I actually thought the other way, you could get fined for not having a G.B. sticker but the headlights on a bike are set straight.
    Best check with the R.A.C. or A.A. tho.
    Happy holidays.

As to headlamp question: If the dip is straight down, you don't need deflector, if it dips down and to the left, you will need a deflector to aim it to the right.

Hi Guys,
    This shows that there is confusion.
    The reason, I believe, that a GB label is not a requirement on motorcycles is because of lack of space to put one. Not all motorcycles have luggage attached and no where to stick a rearward facing lable.

The headlamp issue is more complicated. Some bikes have biased deflection, some dont. Some point straight ahead, some do dip to the left. My bike is modern (2004), so am inclined to think it is of the stright dipped version.

Default found the answer to one question on AA site

Headlamp adjustment for older vehicles can be done by using simple adhesive masks on the headlamp glass. For newer vehicles with HID, Zenon or many Halogen headlamps it is not so easy. Check out what you must do well before your departure by contacting a dealer for your make of vehicle. Without adjustment the dipped beam will dazzle oncoming drivers and this could result in a fine. In some countries it is compulsory to use dipped headlights at all times when driving during the day. Note: this adjustment is not required for two wheeled vehicles as the beam pattern is more symmetrical, but check that any extra loading has not affected the beam height. On some cars it is inadvisable or impossible for anyone other than a qualified technician to change a headlamp bulb unit e.g. high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps and carrying spares is not an option. However, it is recommended that spare bulbs are carried for any lights that may be easily and/or safely replaced by the owner/driver. Spare bulbs are compulsory for Spain and Croatia, for Spain you must also

Quote Originally Posted by nivram View Post
    Note: this adjustment is not required for two wheeled vehicles as the beam pattern is more symmetrical

This is not quite true. Some bikes have straight headlights (no left "curl up" of beam) but some DO. If the headlight beam "curls up" to the left (check this on the garage door) you need to use beam deflectors. If it is a straight line you DONT

ah but the regs do not differentiate it says "this adjustment is not required for two wheeled vehicles". and since riding in europe regularly since 2002, I come to the conclusion that it is not an issue.