Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: London's low emission zone

Default London's low emission zone

I own a 1999 diesel Landrover 110 and have just received notice from Transport for London that my vehicle will not meet the emission standards in 2012. The options I have are:

[LIST]
    Buy a vehicle dated 2002 or later
    Pay a daily fee to go into London (the zone is almost everywhere within the M25) of 100 per day
    Fit a filter to my Landrover[\LIST]

Upon contacting a few of the suppliers referenced in the notice I find the cost of a filter to be about 1200 plus 200 fitting charge plus an annual test fee of 40.

This seems to me to be action against the (usually poorer) owners of older diesel vehicles. I wonder if it is legal and, if so, can it be challenged. Maybe it is part of a clean-up usually carried out by the hosts of olympics, etc - ship out the down and outs, clear the boat people and get rid of old Landrovers!

Comments and suggestions very welcome.

How will they know whether or not you fit the filter ?

Aye! that's a good point, just don't leave it ticking over if your stuck in traffic, as that would give them time to stick the probe into your exhaust pipe,.. just keep on the move

When you have a filter fitted you have to have an annual test like a second MOT. This is then logged (I presume) on your DVLC data. Entry to the Low emission zone is policed by a network of numberplate recognition cameras so there is no escape from the police state.

Has anyone else had a similar letter?

Just to clarify, the Low Emission Zone was introduced before we got the Olympics.
    As above, the results of the Test are recorded on computer, and DVLA check will show your lower emissions.
    I have friends who live within the Zone who have had to replace their vehicles since its introduction.
    I have noticed the reduction in clouds of black smoke in traffic queues pulling away from traffic lights etc since its introduction.
    Now if only something could be done about the oil-burning petrol engines that leave clouds of blue smoke everywhere they go.

I agree that the greener the better - my original comment is a bit tongue in cheek. What amazes me is the extent of the Low emission zone and the fact that there are two major airports within it. A 500 seat jumbo uses more fuel on a single take-off than I use in a year and you can smell the pollution for miles around. Will aircraft have to retrofit filters I wonder? It is ironic that I won't be able to pick people up from Heathrow in my Landrover.

I too recently received the notice from Transport for London saying my vehicle, a 1990 Daihatsu Fourtrak, will not meet the emission standards in 2012. It seems rather unfair that this new tax should be sprung on motorists without warning, especially considering the costs involved. I'm currently out of the country, with the vehicle declared SORN, so would be able to do little until late 2011. Living within the M25 I would be directly affected and the only choices I can see are

1. replacing the vehicle, which would be extremely expensive
    2. stumping up the cost of the filter and fitting plus the test fee, also expensive from what Landroverman states.
    or 3. give up the idea of driving (!) / stay in China & wait until the UK government stops screwing with the motorist (!)

I guess the writing has been on the wall for some time that older vehicles would be taxed off the road, but to find a vehicle as good and reliable as my Fourtrak would cost in excess of 6k if not a great deal more. Given its current age, the modification would cost more than the value of the vehicle itself. It seems I'm coming back to yet another nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    Now if only something could be done about the oil-burning petrol engines that leave clouds of blue smoke everywhere they go.
    Isn’t that limited by the life of the cat Rolebama or at least until the next MOT. That is unless they are caught in an emission testing site.

In theory, Wagolynn, they should be off the road by now, but there is obviously something wrong with the system. There are just too many of them around here!

The thing I find amazing about the 'LONDON LEZ' is how it extends outside of London. Since when was the Kent county part of greater London? or Essex? or Surrey?

Vehicles registered outside of the UK will still be able to enter without paying the daily charge or being limited by the LEZ scheme.

I also believe it is just another scheme to get the older vehicles (poorer people) off the road.