Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vauxhall Astra Handbrake Problems

Thumbs down Vauxhall Astra Handbrake Problems

Have a new style Astra on 10 plate, 1.6 Sri. have had various problems with the car - one morning passenger footwell was full of water after some heavy rain, handbrake is very tempremental (new electronic style), very unecconomical. Final straw came last week when the car was parked on a slight hill, with my grandson sitting in the back. Sat talking to someone with engine off for a while and when I got out of the car to get something from the boot the car started to roll down the hill. couldnt stop it and only stopped when hit something. The car had already been back to dealer as had complained about the handbrake, but they are saying no fault is found, has anyone else had any similar problems please?

Welcome to the site Mandymoo66, it sounds like the dealer is trying it on here, as they don't want to be help responsible for the accident you had, as that would cost them money?

If you really think that the hand break was faulty then stand up to them, and remind them that you have consumers rights, good luck.

If you have legal cover on your car insurance, you could see if they can make a case for you. I think, but am not 100% sure, the airbag memory would hold data on the state of the handbrake (on or off), this is the only chink I can see in Vauxhalls armour. If you look in the cars handbook, you will probably find they recommend leaving the car in gear on a slope, which will be their next line of defence, hence the need for legal advice.

Default faulty brakes

Quote Originally Posted by Mandymoo66 View Post
    Have a new style Astra on 10 plate, 1.6 Sri. have had various problems with the car - one morning passenger footwell was full of water after some heavy rain, handbrake is very tempremental (new electronic style), very unecconomical. Final straw came last week when the car was parked on a slight hill, with my grandson sitting in the back. Sat talking to someone with engine off for a while and when I got out of the car to get something from the boot the car started to roll down the hill. couldnt stop it and only stopped when hit something. The car had already been back to dealer as had complained about the handbrake, but they are saying no fault is found, has anyone else had any similar problems please?
    i have had the same problem if you could give me a ring to discuss that would be great 07549431717

The problem with Vauxhall handbrakes has been on the BBC's Watchdog program. IIRC Vauxhall blamed it on drivers who push the button in when they apply the handbrake.

I also seem to remember seeing an engineer report it to be a defect on the design of the handbrake which made it less suitable for right hand drive cars, The ratchet and pawl could be pulled out of alignment.

i have also had the water problem and the handbrake problem. occasionally i pull the switch, the light will come on briefly then go out again (handbrake not applied).another point worth mentioning, not long after getting the car (around 3k miles) i had a fault come up with the handbrake, would work fine but there was a fault. took it to vauxhall, booked it in and left to find that when i fired it up the fault had gone. i really dont like the idea of the electric parking brake, much rather have an actual lever then a switch. also one morning after heavy rain i noticed what i can only describe as a swimming pool in the front passenger footwell,its not happened since and i have been unable to find out where it came from.

p.s, i always leave my car in gear whether on a slope or not, just a habbit ive got into since i got my license 3 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    If you look in the cars handbook, you will probably find they recommend leaving the car in gear on a slope, which will be their next line of defence, hence the need for legal advice.
    My Vauxhall's handbook certainly does.

But so does the Highway Code, so we should be doing it regardless of what Vauxhall say!

Yes, maybe so but remember that even with a car in gear it can still move. And its not that difficult either, leave handbrake off, put it in first and you can rock it back and forward. This is not the answer. If other manufacturers can do it, then so can Vauxhall!!!
    And the Highway Code is just that, a code, not a legal document. While it should be followed, and any deviation from its recommendations are considered negatively, it is not an instruction like the road traffic act.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometune View Post
    Yes, maybe so but remember that even with a car in gear it can still move.
    it may move but it will only move so far, im not sure if its the same is the car is on the ground but i once put a car in 5th and turned the o/s/f wheel when changing a cambelt to time it up.

It will go all the way down the hill! This happened on a Honda Jazz 4 weeks ago that was parked on a fairly steep driveway. Handbrake fully applied, put in 1st gear and 10 mins later was on the road!
    If it will only move so far, why do we bump start them then? Best to use a block of wood and chock a wheel.