Thread: cyclists

Default cyclists

I notice that some cyclists are beginning to ride two abreast on single carriageway roads. This can cause unneccessary obstruction if there is oncoming traffic or approaching a blind corner. Is it legal?

I don't think it is legal, if I remember correctly if it was a single carriageway, you had to ride in single file?

There is a cycle club local to me. (About 300yds away.) The silly season started Sunday of last week, when they were out and about 5 abreast in great convoys spread out along the roads.
    This Sunday, I drove up the lanes through Beds, and came across a few instances of cyclists riding three abreast on the single track lanes. These were also on 'racing' style cycles with their club shirts on.
    Don't do themselves any favours do they?!!

The Highway Code only says you SHOULD not ride more than 2 abreast (rule 66).

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069837

Went to Long Wittenham, Oxon yesterday. Somewhere around Wallingford there was a cycle event. On a long straight stretch of road, I saw an oncoming motorist pass some of the five abreast riders, and pull into a gap between them and the group in front. He then slowed. The next minute, cyclists he had just passed speeded up and began to overtake the car. There was soon a crocodile of passing cyclists. They were still overtaking as I approached, and I was forced to slow for fear of hitting them, as they were putting themselves on my side of the road. Absolute bloody-mindedness on the part of the overtaking cyclists, as I noticed they were, after overtaking, slowing to merge with the group in front.