Thread: Oil Leak from Intercooler

Default Oil Leak from Intercooler

New to this forum. Any help would be appreciated. Got a 58 Peugeot Expert (2.0 120 HDi) that's done 110,000 miles. Got oil seeping out the top of the intercooler. Before I condemn the turbo, is there anything else I should check?

Turbo appears to be running properly. No loss of power, no smoke and no oil loss. (Dipped when cold, in 2,000 miles since service level has dropped less than 5mm). Took top and bottom intercooler pipes off and no more than a smearing of oil in them. Can't get at intercooler to remove without disconnecting Air Con pipes, so don't want to unless I have to.

Only other thing is had a new Power Steering Pump and ECU fitted about 3 weeks ago. Noticed oil drip on drive about a week later. Wonder if garage thumped and damaged intercooler when doing work. What would symptoms of this be?

Be grateful for any help or assistance. Many thanks

If oil is coming out the intercooler itself, its leaking and needs to be repaired or replaced. The amount of oil is not a concern at the moment. If the garage did hit the intercooler you should see marks on the matrix as its made of a light alloy.

Hi, Thanks for replying. Have since been told the power steering is no where near the intercooler, so have ruled this out. The oil is seeping out the top of the intercooler (where it connects to a plastic housing). Have already booked the car in to get intercooler changed. I've been advised to get the Crank Case breather checked for a blockage as this may be causing the problem. Will update when I get any nearer to resolving this.

Just an update. Vehicle in to garage yesterday. Replaced intercooler. Old unit had a little oil in it, but (Quote from Garage) "No more than you'd expect from a 100,000 mile engine". Cleaned out breather pipes he could find. Again, condition was consistent with age and mileage of engine.

The difference is noticeable. Throttle response is sharper and there's more power. The power loss must have been gradual enough that I didn't notice it.

We've concluded the intercooler must have been defective. I'll watch the replacement for signs of leak in case we're wrong.

They do tend to accumulate some oil in them as the miles increase, Due to a slight leak from the turbo's oil seals. sometimes it causes a bit of a restriction. If it had not sprung a leak you could have just washed it out with degreasing fluid such as gunk.