Thread: Multiple Problems With 04 Clio 1.5 DCI

Default Multiple Problems With 04 Clio 1.5 DCI

I have a 1.5 DCI Clio model year 04 that I brought last June from an indepdant local garage. On the day that I collected the car I was told that it needed a new cam belt (because it was over 5 year old) at a cost of 180, 1500 miles later I discovered that the front tyres were worn out.

The car then start making a squaling noise from cold, I had the auxialry belt replace at another indepdent garage, but they did not install the full kit just the belt. A day later it was making the noise again so I took it to a Renault dealer. This time they replaced the belt again and the full kit including tensioner's as well as replacing a gator on the drive shaft at a cost of 212.

Then at the begin of march the car started squealing again after about a week this developed into a mechanical knocking noise so it went back to the dealer again. This time they replaced the alternator at a cost of 300, and replaced the auxiliary belt again.

Just a week later the car has developed a problem whereby the ABS keep's activating the ABS warning light has come on and it make a whining noise in second gear.

The garage has suggested that for 244 they can replace the drive shaft as the ABS stator ring is damaged. My concern is that this won't rectify the fault with the car making a noise in second gear and I am considering getting rid of the car.

I would be grateful of any advice

You have 3 problems here.
    1. the ABS rings are always breaking on these cars so this will sort the abs light. A driveshaft from a parts supplier like Andrew Page or Unipart only costs about 85-100 and takes less than an hour to change. 244 seems very expensive to me.
    2. the whining in the gearbox may be a bearing starting to fail. This would mean a replacement gearbox or having yours reconditioned. Very expensive.
    3. If you search this forum you will find that these cars are just about the most unreliable on the road. Is it worth keeping? When one abs ring goes, the other wont be far behind.

ok thanks for your reply,

I am not going to be able to change the drive shaft my self, so if I got one of these drive shaft's I would still need a garage to do the work for me, Can you suggest a good independant garage in bristol or point me in the direction of how I can find one?

If I was to replace the car what would suggest as any alternative?

Sorry dont know Bristol. If Techiloyd is still on here he may be able to help you. He has contacts all over the place. Try a private message and see if he replies.
    For me nothing beats a Toyota Yaris as a samll family car. Petrol or diesel.