Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford Focus 1999/V Starting problems

Thumbs up Ford Focus 1999/V Starting problems

Hi all,
    Been looking at this and seems to be very helpfull.

CAN ANYONE HELP ME?

I have a 99 on a V 1.8 tdi Focus on tuesday the car stalled when i drove up a kurb and hasnt started since. I had the RAC out twice and they were great. Couldnt fix the problem but were a help all the same.

The car was turning over but wouldnt start, now when the 1st rac guy looked at it and read the computer it pointed to the fuel pump but the 2nd rac guy adv that there was fuel coming through to the engine.

A gge has adv that it will cost 1100 for a new pump but im not sure.
    This is where i need your help. Any suggestions WILL be tried.

Thank you all.

How hard did you hit the Kurb? I'm not sure if your car is fitted with one but, It could be the 'inertia fuel cut off switch thing' which is designed to cut the fuel off in the event of an accident.

Hi,
    Not hard at all. Its a narrow street so i stopped by the kurb and drove up it. It didnt hit it hard at all.

I dont think its a fuel cut off as there is fuel getting to the engine.
    Dont know whats caused it???

hi
    I have put on this forum before that fuel pumps are common failures on focus 1.8TDdi engines. I would get it diagnosed by a good garage before shelling out on a new pump. Was that estimate labour and parts or just for the pump? i think you can get a pump for around 700 from memory. dont be tempted by a second hand pump as they do fail and you might get another one thats failed

hope this helps

Jason

Thanks Jason,
    I had it done in a friends Toyota Garage and when he gave the car back the intercooler was in the boot. He said the pump direct from ford was 1400 but he could get it for 1100. So i wont be getting him to do the work.

I work for Diamond insurance and one of the engineers there said that if there is fuel getting to the engine then the pump may be ok.
    I think ill bite the bullet and take it to a good garage and see what they say.
    Thanks

hi
    the pumps i have replaced they have fuel gettin to the injectors but there is no fuel pressure and on that engine its the fuel pressure that opens the injector. so just cause there is fuel there doesnt mean the pumps ok

Jason

Hi,
    Yeah ill just have to get somone to get it looked at. I got a flat battery at the moment coz i had to tow late last night so the battery is flat.
    Thanks All.

Any more ideas tho keep them cumin

Default Diesel Pump

If it does turn out to be the Diesel Pump you have a Bosch VP injection pump on your vehicle and you can get one from pbasher.com for 495 on an exchange, the pumps are fully reconned and come with Bosch warranty etc
    If you are still in doubt then give them a ring and they will offer free techinical advice based on the sympytoms of your focus!

Hope you get it sorted

A while back my Focus (2000 diesel - 67000 miles) went to idle as I was driving anf the glow plug light flashed... Pulled over, turned engine off and it re-started no problem..
    Was advised it was probably throttle sensor.
    Last week it cut out but wouldn't restart. Thought it must be the sensor but a garage said he'd plug it in and confirm..
    He said one of the codes was for the pedal so got one and fitted it... Still wouldn't start.
    Fuel filter was empty - replaced that.
    He felt it could be the pump... To take the tank/blockages out of the equation he disconnected the tank from the pump and connected a can of diesel directly. Still wouldn't start.
    He then disconnected what I assume is the output from the pump and he tells me that there is diesel flowing but you can basically stop it by putting your finger over then end..
    Can anyone advise/agree (or suggest something else...) that all the right things have been done and it looks like I need a new pump...
    He also says that when removing the pump you take off the cambelt - and there's no point replacing the current one so should renew that too...

Thanks all..

Smile

Focus Diesels Have problems with there Crankshaft Position Sensors. If the cars computer doesn't recieve a signal from the sensor it will not start. It sits next to the gearbox at the front almost at the bottom of the engine. They can fail when either something hits them or a sudden bump. Hitting a kurb is enough to cause it to fail