Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Driving Awareness - an unknown factor?

Quote.."Wow! what does he get in total then?"

I don't know Snowball, but he must have been a really "heavy footed" driver, maybe that's why he got done for speeding

Default Driving Awareness Courses

Does anyone know whether the RAC runs these courses? The breakdown organisation that I am in does so I'm going to cancel my membership. IMHO motoring organisations ought to be a bulwark protecting motorists from the police and poor signage, NOT colluding with with the police.

The trap was in Southampton on Maybrick King Way. It was 15:20 and I was driving west into the sun with the sunvisors down. As the shop that I was going to didn't close until 5pm and was now less than a mile away I had bags of time. I saw the speed cameras but as the road was a four lane dual carriageway with a central barrier and railings to keep pedestrians off the the road, the limit would be sure to be at least 40mph wouldn't it? Well the answer is actually NO. There is a 30 limit on the road but only ONE "30" sign. Hampshire police claim that it is ILLEGAL to paint "30" on the road or to erect "30" reminder signs. (well they would say that wouldn't they?) In other parts of the country they do have repeater signs so presumably councils all over the country are breaking the law! I have set up an e-petition about this but so far there has been no interest. Quite frankly that piece of road is cunningly designed to catch people from out of town. One man even set his satnav to 40 but was also caught out.

I might still go on the course in order to keep my licence clean as one never knows when one might have the opportunity of a test ride on a Hayabusa (clean licence holders only)
    Last edited by Davey1000; 18-11-11 at 13:36. Reason: grammar "of" vs "off"

The difference between a new driver and an experienced driver is that hopefully the experienced driver can drive by reflex. Years ago I was bowling along in my Rover 2600 when the brakes came on. "What are we stopping for?" I thought. I then noticed that the stupid woman in the car ahead had dropped a musicassette on the floor and had accidentally pressed the brake pedal whilst bending down to look for it. As we had been travelling at about 50mph this was a bit naughty. Someone who had not yet learnt to drive by reflex would have probably rear-ended her car and she would have deserved it!

I would argue that a good driver does not rely on quick or reflex reaction but leaves sufficient space so such actions are not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    I would argue that a good driver does not rely on quick or reflex reaction but leaves sufficient space so such actions are not necessary.
    Even if the road ahead of the vehicle you are following is absolutely clear, there are many valid reasons for a driver to decide to brake, or even stop. As wagolynn points out, a driver should not be sufficiently close that only his/her 'reflex' reactions make the difference between stopping in time or rear-ending the vehicle in front.

Driving too close in some countries (tailgating) can earn fines/penalty points. Haven't the UK recently discussed this problem? It will be another law solely because of poor driving behaviour.

I saw an advert on TV recently, where Ford have a Gizmo that reads the road signs for you, and puts them up on a "heads up display"

I wonder if that could be set to give an audible warning every time it passes a new speed limit sign?

As already mentioned, its quite easy to get done for speeding, by assuming you know what the limit actually is.

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    I saw an advert on TV recently, where Ford have a Gizmo that reads the road signs for you, and puts them up on a "heads up display"

I wonder if that could be set to give an audible warning every time it passes a new speed limit sign?
    As already mentioned, its quite easy to get done for speeding, by assuming you know what the limit actually is.
    When we travel from Leicestershire to our daughter's home in Andover, I always take the "scenic route", which is down the B4455/A429 (Old Fosseway), then Burford, Swindon, Marlborough, Ludgershall, etc. Apart from the obvious 30mph areas, there is a mixture of every speed limit in the spectrum, plus a few fixed speed cameras. I am now very familiar with the roads on this route, but I can imagine a driver strange to the route being caught out.
    Even so, by habit I still have my satnav operational. The main reason for this is that it is more accurate than my speedometer so, where speed at the permitted maximum can be safely achieved, I can do so and reduce the number of following drivers who might get agitated and thinking I am an 'old dodderer'. This satnav gives audible warning of fixed cameras, and also a 'bugle' warning if the speed limit is exceeded. However, it does not sound in 30mph limits until after the "permitted" excess has been exceeded ( it is set as tight as possible), so vigilance is still important. I use my cruise control quite frequently, but again care is required to adjust this as a limit changes.

The placing of speed limit signs, and their repeaters, is a very hit-and-miss affair in the UK. In some places they grow like mushrooms, and in others you can go for ages without a reminder. Drivers have frequently commented upon the absence of speed limit reminders on the approach to speed cameras, and the dubious remarks about this being deliberate are understandable.

Re Smudger's comment: 'As already mentioned, its quite easy to get done for speeding, by assuming you know what the limit actually is.'
    I had the misfortune to have to go to Farnborough last year, and decided to drive on A roads. Luckily, I was in traffic queues most of the way as almost every 30mph speed limit sign on my route through Surrey was missing! Apparently thieves had stolen them. Surprisingly, though, they had not 'stolen' the 40, 50 or NSL signs.
    It was only the slowing cars in front which kept me from unwittingly exceeding speed limits.