Thread: Written Off Bike Query

Unhappy Written Off Bike Query

Hey guys,
    I recently had a RTC on my motorbike and the assessor has registered it to a "database" as a "Class B Write-Off".
    However, upon further inspection of the bike, we have come to the conclusion that the reason it was written off (A cracked frame) doesn't exist; and that the supposed "crack" was dirt.on the framework.

I compained to the assessor's company, saying that the report was biased. This is because the assessor himself said things like "Bikes and Bikers should not be on the road... All bikes speed and put themselves and everyone else on the road in danger" and he outright called my father, sister (also bikers) and myself a liar when I said that we don't speed and are very safe riders. No further comment has been made by the company about this matter.

Is there a way for the bike to not be written off? Perhaps another assessor could overrule the first report and do something so that this "database" doesn't show my bike as a write off?
    This is the first time I have been in a situation like this, so I have no idea of what to do next, and my insurance company isn't being very helpful about this whole thing...

Thanks for any help guys.

You are free to commission an engineer’s report and send a copy to your insurers but this is not 100% sure to work. Try taking to the FSA, http://www.fsa.gov.uk/ they should tell you what can be done.

Firstly I'd complain in writing to your broker and the insurance underwriter about the guys attitude and lack of professionalism especially regarding dirt as a crack. Then get an engineers report on the bike and above all do not let the insurance company take the bike away, buy it back as salvage, once repaired you will need an engineers report to say its in a good road worth condition and get it MOT'd and away you go.

WORST...........................A - Usually fire damaged (burnt-out), flood damaged, or severely damaged with no servicable parts. ONLY SCRAP.
    NOT MUCH BETTER........B - Damaged beyond economical repair and/or severe structural damage. Salvage parts but the machine should NOT go back on the road.
    BETTER FOR INSURED...C - Damaged, but repairable. Generally applied to older vehicles. Can be put back on the road after an MOT and a VOSA inspection (for a bike it is usually a VIC, Vehicular Identity Check, to make sure you are not ringing a bike!)
    BEST CASE....................D - Slightly damaged, sometimes stolen and found after claim has been paid or high cost of repair combined with difficulty obtaining new parts to enable a swift repair. Best to get another MOT to ensure road worthiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    WORST...........................A - Usually fire damaged (burnt-out), flood damaged, or severely damaged with no servicable parts. ONLY SCRAP.
    NOT MUCH BETTER........B - Damaged beyond economical repair and/or severe structural damage. Salvage parts but the machine should NOT go back on the road.
    BETTER FOR INSURED...C - Damaged, but repairable. Generally applied to older vehicles. Can be put back on the road after an MOT and a VOSA inspection (for a bike it is usually a VIC, Vehicular Identity Check, to make sure you are not ringing a bike!)
    BEST CASE....................D - Slightly damaged, sometimes stolen and found after claim has been paid or high cost of repair combined with difficulty obtaining new parts to enable a swift repair. Best to get another MOT to ensure road worthiness.
    Sadly you got a bit of the above information against the classes wrong.

For example bike do not even need a vic test,its cars only.

welcome to the site anyway :-)
    Last edited by Loony; 21-04-12 at 01:25.