Thread: MOT Advisory

Unhappy MOT Advisory

Hi All,

Just bought a used car from a large dealership and on checking the MOT, nitced an advisroy had been issued but not attached. I looked online and found that they were for the front brakes and a tyre (both of which had been advisories on the previous MOT). I am disgusted as they new I had young children, and also should I be in an accident my insurance could be invalidated and I could face prosecution for not dealing with something I didn't know about.
    I am also upset as had I know I would have dealt with the issues before driving around with my children.
    Is there any legal requirement for advisories to be given to you if they are issued or is it just a moral decision??
    Thanks

Check with Consumer Direct on the legality of selling the vehicle with the advisories not corrected, they are on http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/ , I would suggest you leave the children out of the discussion; the vehicle is safe or un-safe with or without children.
    Advisories are just what it says, advisory, they can mean, these parts may require attention before the next service or the garage that did the MOT were trying to drum up business. The MOT pass means, the car was safe to go on the road at the time of issue of the MOT.

An advisory is just what it says and no more. It would not invalidate your insurance as Wagolynn has said, the car was safe at the time of the test. The car is not unsafe because of advisories otherwise a fail would have been issued.
    Have the brakes and tyre checked at your local garage and repair/replace/ignore as advised.

Thanks wagolynn, will contact them.
    Hometune, it is actually VOSA and DVLA sites that warn of possible prosecution if advisories are not attended to. My concerns are not directly the advisories but the dealerships failure to attch paperwork or advise me in any way of what they were.
    Thanks
    Jim

With you now. Yes the dealer should be handing over the advisory. By coincidence I'm picking up my next car this week and the dealer has told me they are including the advisory with 2 notes from the last MoT.
    Yes, try Consumer Direct and hopefully will get sent on to Trading Standards.