Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Car / size engine for economical motorway driving ???

Default Best Car / size engine for economical motorway driving ???

I am trying to decide what kind of car (used) to get which would be best suited for Motorway driving at 80 mpg ?

I currently drive a 2006 Polo 1.4 diesel. However, due to 95 % of driving I do is Motorway and my commute is 160 miles round trip per day, I think I should at least get a 1.6 engine or maybe even a 1.9 - 2.0?

The most important thing for me is to keep the costs down as fuel is a big part of my expenses. I am debating what type of car and engine size would actually be best. With a 1.9-2.0, I would be putting the engine under less strain (especially if I got a 6 gears) but is it really worth it? I am not concerned with having more power, I just want to make the journey as cost efficient as possible.

Anybody have any comments what would be the best engine to get and any specific recommendations on brands to type of cars? My budget is about GBP 7,000 - GBP 8,000.

THANKS !!!
    Last edited by markkustjohn; 04-01-11 at 08:14.

Hi markkustjohn, welcome to the forum.
    If you want 80mpg M-way driving, I don't think a 1.9 diesel engine will return that. For the last 10 years (over 3 cars) I have had a 1.9 TDI diesel engine. The best I have achieved on M-ways is about 60mpg.

It depends upon your driving patterns (do you regularly drive with a full compliment of passengers?), as a small engine and a full load will produce more sluggishness and a much lowered mpg.

At the thirsty end of the scale, my 1.9TDI allows me to pull a caravan weighing nearly 1500kg, with full luggage and two people at 30mpg. 40+ around town with two people, and 50 - 60 mpg with two people on M-ways.

With fuel costs in flux, max MPG is certainly a priority consideration for all but the rich, and I definitely work on the basis of max MPG for deciding on the choice of vehicle for my own purposes.

In deciding my diesel preference 10 years ago, and with diesel being a little more expensive, at that time I calculated that the 'break even' point for the two fuels (petrol and diesel) was if diesel became 20p/litre more expensive than petrol.
    With recent advances in petrol and diesel engines, the mpg seems to have become less significant, but with the increased fuel costs my original calculation may still not be far out.

Thanks Snowball for the advice,

Nearly all of my driving (99 %) is on my own in my 1.4 Polo Diesel on the motorway. So, i do not need to pull a lot of weight around. Do you think on this basis 1.6 would be sufficient ?

Quote Originally Posted by markkustjohn View Post
    Nearly all of my driving (99 %) is on my own in my 1.4 Polo Diesel on the motorway. So, i do not need to pull a lot of weight around. Do you think on this basis 1.6 would be sufficient ?
    I would think on that basis that your current car would be sufficient but, If you going to be travelling at 80mph you won't get that good a fuel consumption. The best fuel return will be at around 56mph - Past that your wasting lots of fuel to overcome wind resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDanno View Post
    I would think on that basis that your current car would be sufficient but, If you going to be travelling at 80mph you won't get that good a fuel consumption. The best fuel return will be at around 56mph - Past that your wasting lots of fuel to overcome wind resistance.
    I tend to agee with MrDanno except, perhaps, the fuel consumption. My car is a VW Touran 1.9TDI, and I usually get a little better than 56mpg on M-ways. (I'm sure you meant MPG, MrDanno???:).
    However, I don't have any experience of the 1.4 or 1.6 VW engines. Some enquiries from acknowledged sources might be advisable before deciding. Changing from 1.4 to 1.6 may not turn out to be a worthwhile excercise if cost v. performance proves unsatisfactory.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    (I'm sure you meant MPG, MrDanno???:).

No, I mean Miles per HOUR. Driving at 80 MPH will not give good fuel economy - too much fuel is wasted on wind resistance.

Sorry MrDanno, I assumed an error because it isn't permissible to drive at 80MPH. Thus, any such 'accidental' speed should be a rare occurrence, and therefore not really relevant in connection with vehicle economy.
    Probably pro-rata down the speed scale though.

I thought the original post said 'at 80mph' that is why I quoted it.

As for 80mph not being allowed, Drive at 70mph and see how many people go past.

Well, getting back to the point of the post I would have thought the OP's car would be ideal for what his using it for.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDanno View Post
    I thought the original post said 'at 80mph' that is why I quoted it.

[1] As for 80mph not being allowed, Drive at 70mph and see how many people go past.

[2] Well, getting back to the point of the post I would have thought the OP's car would be ideal for what his using it for.
    (1) That's a different subject, which could run a long course of discussion all by itself.

(2) I don't disagree, which is why I advised a close examination of his options before spending cash.

Thanks so much for all the comments and suggestions!!!

I have had conflicting advice about this subject from many different sources but seems like a 1.9/2.0 would not be worthwhile since I am not carrying a lot of weight (only myself at 90 kg and few belongings)

I guess I just need to decide if it would be more beneficial to look at a 1.6 diesel (instead of my 1.4) to put the engine under a little less strain. Any comments?

Regardless, I am going to sell my car and get a new one as the depreciation is much greater with the amount of miles I rack up in a year. The Polo has treated me well and might look to get a new one or a 1.6 Golf. I am also looking at Skoda as they are mostly Volkswagon anyway. Any suggestions on brands / models?