Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Car / size engine for economical motorway driving ???

Markku -- have you arrived at a conclusion?

Soon I will have to commute from Manchester to Lancaster daily, and the time required to get to and from the train station at each end means the only viable option will be to drive.

So I too am looking for all-inclusive cost efficiency for a purely M-way drive of 43.5 miles each way.

All of the Eco-cars I've come across thus far are not really designed for maximum efficiency over M-way distances & speeds.

It's almost as if the car companies haven't (yet) turned their attention to this particular niche.

a Citreon Picasso 2 litre Diesel that is used for regular motorway and dual carriage way driving, one regular trip for example covers the A1M, A14, M11, M25, A127.

It's comfortable to drive, doesn't cost me a fortune in servicing and I get just under 60mpg on the trip (keeping at and just below 70 all the way apart from the lengths where the speed limit is lower).

Quote Originally Posted by tommytwotanks View Post
    a Citreon Picasso 2 litre Diesel that is used for regular motorway and dual carriage way driving, one regular trip for example covers the A1M, A14, M11, M25, A127.

It's comfortable to drive, doesn't cost me a fortune in servicing and I get just under 60mpg on the trip (keeping at and just below 70 all the way apart from the lengths where the speed limit is lower).
    Which of the Picasso models is that? What year is it?

not quite sure, it was a pool car at work a couple of years back, dont know the age of it because it had a non age related plate, i guess it was a 1.9hdi

Quote Originally Posted by tommytwotanks View Post
    not quite sure, it was a pool car at work a couple of years back, dont know the age of it because it had a non age related plate, i guess it was a 1.9hdi
    just done some homework, it might have been Citroën Xsara Picasso 1.6 HDi LX (92bhp) 5d, according to parkers.co.uk– Facts and Figures, it does 55mpg, the 2.0hdi does 51mpg
    the Citroën Xsara Picasso was made from 2000 up until 2010

For the last 11 years my cars have been 1.9 TDI diesels. All three VW. The first was 90 bhp, the second and current 105 bhp.(3 in all). 1.9 TDI also seemed to be the most popular among other makes.
    I use my vehicle for all types of work, from in town shopping, to M-way driving, to towing our caravan. Performance/economy wise, I am completely happy with the car, and have no desire to change it. For me, it represents a good balance for a car that is economical yet can do the job without being mechanically stressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    For the last 11 years my cars have been 1.9 TDI diesels. All three VW. The first was 90 bhp, the second and current 105 bhp.(3 in all). 1.9 TDI also seemed to be the most popular among other makes.
    I use my vehicle for all types of work, from in town shopping, to M-way driving, to towing our caravan. Performance/economy wise, I am completely happy with the car, and have no desire to change it. For me, it represents a good balance for a car that is economical yet can do the job without being mechanically stressed.
    Sounds great.

The other dimensions that I'm interested in, as part of overall cost efficiency, are : CO2 (for road tax), insurance group, reliability, and low repair/maintenance costs.

Right now, if one is prepared to buy new, it seems possible to do very well in terms of CO2 and mpg, but then one has to suffer the hefty depreciation of a new car, exacerbated by racking up high mileage on the odometer, and possibly higher repair/maintenance costs + insurance group costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikimiki View Post
    Sounds great.

The other dimensions that I'm interested in, as part of overall cost efficiency, are : CO2 (for road tax), insurance group, reliability, and low repair/maintenance costs.

Right now, if one is prepared to buy new, it seems possible to do very well in terms of CO2 and mpg, but then one has to suffer the hefty depreciation of a new car, exacerbated by racking up high mileage on the odometer, and possibly higher repair/maintenance costs + insurance group costs.
    you wont get everything that you want, if it's cheap to insure it going to be 1, slow 2, undesireable, 3, ugly

My car is a VW Touran 1.9TDI. Last years road fund tax was £155 (don't know yet if it has risen this year), and insurance was group 6 under the old classification. From new, I took out a 4-year VW service and maintenance warranty. This includes all labour and parts, including MoT costs during that time. The only exception is the air conditioning. Also, in my case, the tyres are excluded because i replace mine at 3mm minimum tread. This costs me a few pence over £28 per month, which means I have a good control on my motoring budget.

ok if you can afford the £23,500 rrp for a 2.0tdi se (base model of the tdi's), keep it 3+ years and your lucky if you get half of that back