Thread: 1.2 or 1.4?

Default 1.2 or 1.4?

Hi,

Happy New Year!

I'm looking for some advice please...

I'm interested in buying a 1 year old Ford Fiesta with a view to selling it for a more eco-friendly (electric) car when there are more on the market in around two or three years time.

I have a budget of 8k and have seen a few 1.2 Fiestas with under 5k on the clock within budget - including a few Zetecs. The problem is, I am having second thoughts about whether to go for a 1.4 for a bit more power. This would mean sacrificing about a year's warranty and going for 3 door instead of a 5 door but keeping the same mileage and around the same price.

Can you tell me whether a 3 door 1.4 is a better investment than a 5door 1.2 please? I'm trying to consider whether a 1.4 will have a higher resale value in 2 to 3 years time, and whether the difference in engine size is really worth the jump in insurance cost.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
    K
    Last edited by kafkaf11; 04-01-11 at 00:33.

Around town the 1.2 will do, on Motorway 1.4 will be slightly more economical, if electric cars were to become viable, both cars will lose re-sale value.

Welcome to the site kafkaf11, its quite surprising how it works out, as my brother in law is getting better mileage from his big 1.6Ltr diesel saloon than I am am getting with my much smaller 1.2Ltr Renault Modus

Thanks guys. Sounds like it's six of one and half a dozen of another.

Either way, I hope electric cars catch on sooner rather than later before fossil fuels run out. With that in mind, maybe I should prepare myself for the worst and go for the slightly slower 1.2