Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diesel Lift Pump faulty. MK3 Mondeo

Unhappy Diesel Lift Pump faulty. MK3 Mondeo

I have a MK3 Mondeo 2002 TDDI. The car suddenly died on approach to the lights. The recovery man came and concluded it was the diesel lift pump. After a few knocks the engine restarted and I made my way home accompanied by the recovery breakdown van.

The following morning I travelled about 20 miles and the car died again. This time the car failed to start aftert a number of gentle knocks. I was towed home and the fault diagnosed as the lift pump.The lift pump has now been replaced but the car will still not start. I have noted that there is no power showing at the pump's electrical connections. Is this a relay problem or something else. Your thoughts welcomed.
    Thanks

Try twiddling with the connector plug on the fuel rail pressure sensor.

A common fault on this year, if the pressure sensor signal is lost then the fuel pump relay will not send power to the pre supply pump.

Cure: Replace the old tin type connectors with Gold type and apply a small amount of silicone grease.

Lloyd

Check the inertia switch behind the left hand kick panel.

The lift pump relay is no.4 in the fuse box under the bonnet.

Check the following fuses in the same box:-

Fuse 9 - 20amp
    fuse 23 - 15amp
    fuse 27 - 15amp
    fuse 30 - 7.5amp
    fuse 32 - 3amp
    fuse 33 - 3amp
    fuse 40 - 7.5amp
    fuse 42 - 15amp

The layout may be marked on the underside of the fusebox cover.or refer to the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Techiloyd View Post
    Try twiddling with the connector plug on the fuel rail pressure sensor.

A common fault on this year, if the pressure sensor signal is lost then the fuel pump relay will not send power to the pre supply pump.

Cure: Replace the old tin type connectors with Gold type and apply a small amount of silicone grease.

Lloyd
    Thanks

Where is the fuel rail presuure sensor located?

Look at where the Red arrow is pointing on the photo in this link:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...w=1345&bih=562

Unhappy Diesel Lift pump faulty.

I have had the lift pump replaced and changed the relay and the car still will not start. The relay no.4 is a multi function relay. I would not have changed this if I had known unless relays can fail in part. I have a 2002 2.0L TDDi MK3. This model does not have the fuel rail pressure sensor on the rail so I assume the link given was from an earlier or later model.. The fuel rail is a complete unit without a switch of any description on it. I have looked around the area and have not noted any other sensors apart from the engine temp.If it does have one can someone forward me the location. Has anyone any further recommendations as to what the problem could be. Have checked all the fuses and they are fine. I am having a mechanic have a look at it in the morning as I am none the wiser. There was a fault code which related to the lift pump. The fault codes were nP0252 and P0148..

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by shawfam; 30-12-10 at 16:30.

Quote Originally Posted by shawfam View Post
    There was a fault code which related to the lift pump. The fault codes were nP0252 and P0148..
    The fault codes do not relate to the lift pump.

P0148 - fuel delivery error - fuel injection pump
    P0252 - injection pump fuel metering control A, cam/rotor/injector - range/performance problem - probable cause - injection pump.

You must have this diagnosed by a competent person because pumps are around 500 second hand and need to be coded to the car unless you have a reconditioned one that is in a virgin state.

BTW, no one has advised you to replace the relay; it should have been tested first. I was only giving you advice as to where it was along with the fuses and inertia switch as I assumed you did not have a handbook.
    Last edited by Hometune; 30-12-10 at 18:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometune View Post
    The fault codes do not relate to the lift pump.

P0148 - fuel delivery error - fuel injection pump
    P0252 - injection pump fuel metering control A, cam/rotor/injector - range/performance problem - probable cause - injection pump.

You must have this diagnosed by a competent person because pumps are around 500 second hand and need to be coded to the car unless you have a reconditioned one that is in a virgin state.

BTW, no one has advised you to replace the relay; it should have been tested first. I was only giving you advice as to where it was along with the fuses and inertia switch as I assumed you did not have a handbook.
    It looks like I'm gonna have to scrap the car :-( :-( which is a shame as it's served me proudly over the last 210k ......It's in mint condition been serviced every 10k...Any takers :-)Reconditioned gearbox,new clutch and a gleaming example if you disregard the previous posts :-) :-)

Default Fuel Pump Faulty

I have just had a technician around to look at the car. After checking to see whether fuel was being pumped up the car fired up. He has said that the system has a lot of air in it. Anyone know how to fully bleed a 2002 TDDi.

Regards

Alston

Default Fuel Pump

Hi a 2002 mondeo will still start even though the lift pump doesn't work. This is because it has a vp 44 main fuel injection pump. A vp 44 has a built in transfer pump to lift the fuel from the tank. Sounds to me that this could be the problem.Fill a bottle with diesel and set up a gravity feed straight into the injection pump to see if it will run,if you require the pump to be tested i can do this also.