Thread: Mk6 2006 Ford Fiesta Replacement Slam Panel

Default Mk6 2006 Ford Fiesta Replacement Slam Panel

Does anyone know how much work would be involved to replace the slam panel on a 2006 mk6 fiesta? I have had a slip in the ice and hit a small tree which has dented my bonet and cracked the slam panel.
    I am going to order ina new panel but I have no idea how much a garage would charge to fit it.

Would the bumper and rad need to be removed to fit it?

There are a few variations, can you put up a photo of the damage??

A good company to use to get panels at trade prices are these people: http://www.crashrepairparts.com/

Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by Techiloyd View Post
    There are a few variations, can you put up a photo of the damage??

A good company to use to get panels at trade prices are these people: http://www.crashrepairparts.com/

Lloyd
    Lloyd, thanks for your reply.
    Here are the pictures:

[IMG]http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g179/talksr/fiesta/th_CIMG2264.***[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g179/talksr/fiesta/th_Uttlesford-20101220-00338.***[/IMG]

I was very lucky I was only in 2nd gear and not doing much of a speed. The bumper is fine, (tow eye cover was missing before the bump). Does need a grille but they are cheap.
    I found most garages didn't want to look at it. Found a local body works place who said they would fit a new slam panel for ‚£150 if I could source and supply them with the panel.
    I have used a few of the online car part finding sites and have been quoted ‚£40-150 for the slam panel.
    I also need to get a new bonnet as it has been bent slightly at the front.

Wings are good, rad seems fine, lights are good and all still aligned, wheels and underside of car are fine. Very lucky indeed.

Yes you were lucky, I would leave the slam panel as it is, get a new grill and the bonnet repaired or replaced. Try Ebay for 2nd hand in same colour.

I would have the bumper removed and the front cross member checked. They seem really 'soft'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    I would have the bumper removed and the front cross member checked. They seem really 'soft'.
    Thanks Rolebama, I have taken as good a look as I can without removing the bumper and the crossmember seems untouched. The bonnet and the very top corner of the slam panel (where it holds the top left of the rad) were damaged.

Luckily, the bumper didn't take any of the impact and thankfully no airbags went off (although I was going very slow). But if I do go ahead with the slam panel replacement, I will ask the body work guys to take a look for me and make sure the cross member is ok.

Thanks for your post and happy christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolebama View Post
    That is one of my 'pet hates' about plastic bumper skins. They can hide a huge amount of damage behind them.

The thing you might find is that the bonnet and slam panel have bent together. Changing one without the other might cause a problem.

The bonnet corner above the headlamp on the damaged side looks high, It might just be the photo I'm not sure. Also check the bonnet hinges as they might have got bent or pushed back.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDanno View Post
    That is one of my 'pet hates' about plastic bumper skins. They can hide a huge amount of damage behind them.

The thing you might find is that the bonnet and slam panel have bent together. Changing one without the other might cause a problem.

The bonnet corner above the headlamp on the damaged side looks high, It might just be the photo I'm not sure. Also check the bonnet hinges as they might have got bent or pushed back.
    Thanks for your post, I hope you all had a nice Christmas.
    Thankfully, the hinges are fine. They and the wings were the first things I checked. I think if I had been going a little faster, the hinges and more would have been messed.

This is the first car in my history which has a plastic panel. All the past ones have been chunky metal ones.