Thread: Non Geographic contact numbers for breakdowns

Hybrid View

Question Non Geographic contact numbers for breakdowns

Hi folks

Why oh why do you appear to provide only Non Geographic numbers for breakdown reports? A friend just txt me from Ireland to say he had broke down and couldn't find a contact number for breakdown cover on his insurance policy. I had to ring an 0845 number then an 0800 number and all from a mobile phone. It costs far more to ring these numbers and you can't even use inclusive call time minutes to ring them. I'm in the AA and have a geographic alternative I can ring.

Thanks from a (few quid poorer) deckhanddave

Welcome to the site DDD, might be a good idea to look up the 01 number of your insurance company on here, before you make any long journeys,.......http://www.saynoto0870.com/

Its a great site, and has saved me a lot of money

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Welcome to the site DDD, might be a good idea to look up the 01 number of your insurance company on here, before you make any long journeys,.......http://www.saynoto0870.com/
    Its a great site, and has saved me a lot of money
    Of course, all companies do not have geographical numbers, and are not legally required to do so. I found an alternative geographical number for one company, but it had a recorded message to say it only responded to the 0845 number.

Only this morning I received a reply from Ofcom, who I have been complaining to about this very problem. They advise that they have no powers to force any company to provide a geograhical number. They also said that they were "considering responses to this and hope to set out further proposals later this year".

But, if they have no powers, what can they hope to achieve by this? The 0844/0845/0870 numbers are run by moneymakers, so they are not going to just roll over.

Yea! I know that some of them leave an automatic answer machine, like the one to our councils main exchange, but after that message has played, it puts you right through to the exchange

As you say, not all companies are in there, but there are a lot of others who are.

I was sent a link to that site from a mate on an ex-service site, and as soon as I got it, I checked all the numbers that I needed and found them all in there.

Its saved me some money so far
    Last edited by smudger; 07-02-12 at 20:38.

If you go to saynoto0870.com website you can find most companies alternative numbers.

The one for RAC breakdown is 01603 208129

mrsflump

this number goes throught an office in norwich the breakdown call centres are in bescot walsall birmingham and stretford manchester so will be of no use to anyone

miss breakdown

Quote Originally Posted by deckhanddave View Post
    Hi folks

Why oh why do you appear to provide only Non Geographic numbers for breakdown reports? A friend just txt me from Ireland to say he had broke down and couldn't find a contact number for breakdown cover on his insurance policy. I had to ring an 0845 number then an 0800 number and all from a mobile phone. It costs far more to ring these numbers and you can't even use inclusive call time minutes to ring them. I'm in the AA and have a geographic alternative I can ring.

Thanks from a (few quid poorer) deckhanddave
    totally agree... even worse when they give you numbers that are not possible to phone from ireland!!! great company.... shower of incompetent edjets..