Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Congestion charge in Euston Street, Marylebone Street London

Default Congestion charge in Euston Street, Marylebone Street London

Hi there,

I have hopefully simple question. I have recently moved to the UK, and was driving through London this morning.

I had to get from Whitechapel road to Maidenhead, and drove along what I understand to be the perimeter of the congestion charge.

When I called the TFL information line the guy on the end of the phone was useless - he could not tell me straight, and charged me 5p per minute to listen to him go round and round in circles, without telling yes or no.

The route I took was:

Mile End Road
    Commercial Street
    Great Eastern Street
    Old Street
    City Road
    Pentonville Road
    Euston Street
    Marylebone Road
    Harrow Flyover
    Westway
    Western Avenue

and on to Maidenhead.

From looking at the Congestion Charge map, http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/roadusers/.../whereandwhen/, it looks like I did not drive through the zone.

The only two indications I saw were a) any turn offs to the left (on the route from Whitechapel to Maidenhead) had two tall CONGESTION CHARGE signs on poles, and b) a Grey/White C in a circle. According to the congestion charge sign website, http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cong...ging/6717.aspx, it says these grey/white circles are indicating you are coming up to a congestion turn-off.

When I put my car reg into the payment site, it only gave me an option to pay....not telling me if I did. If I did go through it I have no problem in paying, but I do not want to pay for something I didn't do!

I would really appreciate any help from people familiar with the streets around Euston Street, Marylebone Road, Harrow Flyover, and Westway if they could let me know their opinion.

Like I said, I did not pass through any congestion signs on poles, just the white/grey Cs on marked on the road.

Any help greatly appreciate,

Benny

It seems you just went around the outside... I cannot give you advice on if you actually went into it or not.

All I will say is, If in doubt just pay it quickly before midnight as I think the cost goes up if you pay the following day. If you did enter the zone and don't pay it can be an expensive fine.

Welcome to the site Benny, the thing is, its easy for them to prove if you did enter these zones, as they have them covered with CCTV.

But its harder for the driver to prove that they didn't enter the zone, and the costs involved, would far out way the price of the fine, hope you get it sorted, good luck

Quote Originally Posted by MrDanno View Post
    It seems you just went around the outside... I cannot give you advice on if you actually went into it or not.

All I will say is, If in doubt just pay it quickly before midnight as I think the cost goes up if you pay the following day. If you did enter the zone and don't pay it can be an expensive fine.
    Hi there Danno,

Yes, it does seem like I went around it. My issue is I cannot get any official answer to say if I did or not - like I said, if I did, then I'll happily pay it, if I didn't then no way.

For my job, I will have to drive to Maidenhead 2, 3 times a week. I will not be paying 8 pounds per day, on the off chance of "making a mistake", if I do in fact enter the congestion zone, then I'll have to take a different route (and I will do so happily-I do understand what they are trying to do with this congestion charge....).

Over 6 months 8 pounds a day will add up to more than 60pounds!

I think its really a disgrace that they cannot/will not tell when your paying if you did/did not enter the zone, only when they charge you 60/120 pounds...

@smudger: thanks for the welcome If they can prove to me I did enter the zone, then I'll happily (more or less ) pay the charge. But I'll be sc££wed if I'll pay a charge...just in case.

If anyone has any other advice, I'd appreciate to hear it.

thanks,
    b
    Last edited by thedriver; 22-10-10 at 23:59.

Quote Originally Posted by thedriver View Post
    My issue is I cannot get any official answer to say if I did or not - like I said, if I did, then I'll happily pay it, if I didn't then no way.
    As far as I understand it their is no way for a member of the public to check if a vehicle entered it or not. The only way you will know is if you entered and do not pay as you will get a fine of 120 or 60 if you pay it quickly.

The only thing I can suggest it to be a bit more observant next time you do this journey.

Hi Danno,

I was being very observant, as I did not want to incur the charge.

I don't think I could have been anymore observant, other than stopping a police man and asking him!

Don't you think it's unacceptable to put the onus on the user of the system? The technology is there, and has the possibility to show you.

What about people who don't live in London? Or people not from the UK?

Since they can tell you if you were inside the zone when they charge you 120 pounds, with photographic evidence, why can't that data be available to you at the beginning?

Anyway, thanks for your help.

B

The reason it is like this is so people who are not sure and are worried just pay the charge.

I agree, There should be a website which allows you to check their database to see if you entered the zone.

Quote Originally Posted by thedriver View Post
    Hi Danno,

I was being very observant, as I did not want to incur the charge.

I don't think I could have been anymore observant, other than stopping a police man and asking him!

(1) Don't you think it's unacceptable to put the onus on the user of the system? The technology is there, and has the possibility to show you.

(2) What about people who don't live in London? Or people not from the UK?

(3) B]Since they can tell you if you were inside the zone when they charge you 120 pounds, with photographic evidence, why can't that data be available to you at the beginning?[/B]
    Anyway, thanks for your help.

B
    As yet, I have not had cause to go anywhere near to the Congestion Charging Zone, so cannot comment on actual clarity of approaching it. BUT:

(1) It is absolutely essential that very clear warnings are given that the zone is about to be entered, and in time for it to safely be avoided by taking an alternative route.

(2) I don't think the authorities really care about this but, if (1) was honourably carried out (now there's an old fashioned idea), there wouldn't be a problem for strangers.

(3) Remember, the motorist is a cash cow! So any legislation (and relevant signage) has, from the authorities point of view, to be pro-revenue based.

Therefore, ease of capture will always reign King over ease of avoidance.

Euston 'Street' is within the Congestion Zone. If you mean Euston 'Road', that is not within the Congestion Zone.

Aye! with all the signs we already have up for us to read, you would think that they could at least put up a sign saying... "you are now entering/leaving a congestion charge zone"

They could even use the money they rake in from their speeding cameras