Thread: Car longevity-Mazda v BMW v VW

Default Car longevity-Mazda v BMW v VW

Hello all,

I intend to purchase a two-year old car and keep for about ten years.

the three choices of car - disparate, I know - are:

BMW 1 series coupe diesel
    Mazda 3 diesel
    VW Scirocco diesel

Having reviewed the last few years' Which? reports, the Mazda seems to have the best track record but I really like the style of the BMW despite its average brand reliabilty record. the VW is also average but again, I like the style.

the BMW's 'most common faults' for cars aged 4-8 years are 'non-engine electrics' at 29% , which seems excessive. What might this mean and would it be expensive to fix?

Objectively, the Mazda seems to be the best buy but I'm almost seduced by the BMW and Scirocco looks.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Mike Gray; 13-10-10 at 15:36.

Welcome to the site Yorky, well out of those three, I would go for the Mazda, reason being my mate up North had one, lasted him for years, and never let him down once in all the years he had it

It had a high mileage even when he bought it, and he put a lot more on it

I don't think there is much to choose between them for the time you want to keep. I would suggest a test drive of them all though as noise levels can be high in some diesels.

Well, I used to think that as well Rolebama, but them Fords we drove during our training, were really quiet, in fact like I said earlier, I thought they were petrol cars

Smudger, whilst I agree that there are some very quiet diesels out there, there are still some whose noise levels are horrific by comparison. They may be great at 30 -40mph, but at 60+mph they can sound as if you are in a cement mixer.

Aye! your right there Rolebama, yet we were driving those training cars at speeds up 90 Mph during training.

Mind you, I have heard noisy diesels especially when they are ticking over.

I still think I will go for a diesel when this contract runs out, just for the better mileage alone, as we only use our car for hospital/doctors and shopping runs

The Mazda is probably the one to go for, particularly as it's cheaper than the others. A few years ago I might have said BMW as even though they were no more reliable than the others, the customer service was much better and they would make goodwill payments for cars which failed out of warranty. These days, they are much less generous.

Steven Quas , Hamburg

Most car manufacturers buy in commonly sourced components, so any design/quality failure in one of these could affect a range of diffent makes of vehicle. On the subject of diesel noise levels, I have always thought the Fords to be a bit throaty. For myself, on my third VW diesel (all three 1.9 TDI), I feel that my current vehicle is even less noisy. But a short while ago, our son-in-law had a new BMW diesel which I thought very quiet; although he has now gone back to a petrol VW Golf.
    Of course, from inside the passenger comartment, the quality of sound insulation can make the noisiest diesel seem the most quiet.

In my days in the Glass Fibre industry, one of the products manufactured was internal combustion engine silencer inserts (the sound absorbing filling pre shaped to fit). It was interesting that each vehicle manufacturer had a characteristic company sound and the final development of the exhaust system for each vehicle was to get the sound right for the model, range and company sound. Yes, in the development stage, we could be asked to adjust the absorption of an insert as it was too quite...