Thread: buying a sorned car

Default buying a sorned car

Hi, i went to see a car at a dealership last week, the car is a trade in from a customer who bought a new car from them. He has SORNED the car & the road tax expired on 30-04-10.

I did a vehicle enquiry check later that day on the DVLA website & the date of liability was dated 1-04-11.

I bought the car on friday (24-09-10)....the dealer brought it to me on trade plates & is currently off the road in my garage untill the insurance certificate arrives so i can tax it.......hopefully on thursday.

I have just checked on the DVLA vehicle enquiry website today & the date of liability is now shown as 01 09 2010.

Any ideas as to why this date has changed?

Just wondering as i dont want to fall foul of any taxation rules.

Personally, I would have got them to tax it as part of the deal.

1, Make sure that DVLA know when you bought the car so that they cannot hold you liable for it being untaxed until now.
    2, I would just SORN it online NOW.

Hi & thanks for the reply.

Just been online to make a SORN, as you advised, and i got this message......

"SORRY

Unable to Use Service

Unfortunately, because of the tax class of the vehicle or recent changes to the vehicle record, you are currently unable to apply for a tax disc or declare SORN using this service.

You will need to apply for the tax disc or declare SORN at a licence-issuing Post Office® or DVLA Local Office (as applicable for the vehicle) using the reminder (Vehicle Licence Application/SORN Declaration) or the Registration Document/Certificate together with the Insurance Certificate or Cover Note, MOT Test Certificate/GVT Test Certificate (if applicable) and fee."

My 'guess' is that they have transferred the SORN to you, and the DVLA can only work in full months for VED purposes, so it does make a kind of sense.

It seems like a lot of hassle just to get a car back on the road.
    No wonder a lot of folk just done bother, they seem to go out of their way to make it more complicated