Thread: Starting problems clio 2001

Question Starting problems clio 2001

I have owned my clio for 4 weeks now and I have started to have starting problems with it.

Sometimes when I turn the key the little red light on the dash flashes constant and the engine wont turn over,sometimes the engine does try to turn over and thats normally when the red light isnt flashing,and eventually will start.

I had a diagnostic check done yesterday and these are the codes.

DF067
    DECODER CONNECTION
    DF069 RING CONNECTION
    DF051 STARTER RELAY

They cleared them but the bloke said it could be the blip in the key,I just want a second opinion before I spend £150 on a new key.Thanks

It could be the unit that is fitted around the ignition barrel. This picks up the signal from the chip in the key. This is passed to the immobiliser and if recognised the immobiliser alows the engine to start. If the red light stays on then either the key chip has failed or the ring.
    You could get another ring from a scrapyard to try so long as you get a similar car to yours.. This will then tell you if it is the key or the ring and may save you money in the long term. A quality scanner should show if the fault is actually in the key or the ring.
    You may find a mobile auto electrician or mechanic who can code keys for you. He should be able to get you aftermarket chipped keys a lot cheaper than the dealer. Try Google etc

The red light is not stopping on,it either constantly flashes then I know it wont start or it goes out then I can start the car.

I had the RAC out the other day and the guy was no help whatsover,he disconnected my battery,and all he wanted me to do is let him tow me to the Renault dealer,he didnt even attempt to get the car started for me and he didn't reconnect my battery.
    Why did the RAC bloke not check my key?

If the red light is constantly flashing could it still be the key? as I said I had it checked by an auto electrician

Quote Originally Posted by Hometune View Post
    If the red light stays on then either the key chip has failed or the ring.
    Think I already answered this one!

the red lights not staying on it just constantly flashing

the red lights not staying on, it just constantly flashing, and its just clicking when you turn it over

Then its still immobilised. Ring or key.

Okay thanks mate