Thread: insurance and road tax by the day

Post insurance and road tax by the day

hi guy's, im sure many of us have insured a vehicle just to get it home from an auction or somewhere, and take the risk of not having valid road tax, the last time i had a look on these insure a car for the day web sites they quote you for insurance and optional breakdown cover, well why not an option to buy road tax for that day too,
    even if the insurance company/government charged £2 - £5 per day, that would be alot cheaper than getting pulled over, or getting spotted on these ANPR camera's, having your car siezed, the cost of a taxi home, the cost of storage per day on top of the £200 for not having your car taxed

any thoughts on this idea guy's

tommy

Aye! a good idea in theory, but can you honestly think that the DVLA could cope with that?
    They cant even cope with things as they are now

Default Pointless

As the databases used by the ANPR system can be [at least] 14 days out of date, I don't see how any such scheme could posibly work.

And anyway, "road tax" was abolished in 1935...

I would not advocate driving a car home from an auction. I know that most of the places I worked used the auctions to get rid of cars that were not in a fit state to drive. In the same way, I am not so sure about driving vehicles that people have purchased through website auctions. As to one day VED, I would just see that as an excuse by the Govt to increase employment figures at DVLA, which we would pay for through further taxation.

There are insurance companies that do "short term" insurance policies over the phone, its just a pity they couldn't do something similar with the vehicle tax.

Yet, as I mentioned earlier, there is no way the DVLA could cope with that, and as Rolebama says, they could use that as an excuse to take on even more "hard working and diligent staff"

It might be better if the insurance companies issued the VED tax discs too and, possibly, even the vehicle number plates as they do in the USA. MoT's certification could also be sent direct to the insurer.
    Everything would then be "under one roof", the insurers could put a stop to the silly behaviour of playing around with number plate formats. The insurers could transfer data to a central database, the data update procedure would most likely be much speedier, avoiding the police of falsely stopping a vehicle because their information was incorrect. And we could have a much reduced DVLA workforce, and save the cost of a lot of civil servants who can't seem to get things right anyhow.

The current Vehicle tax system has been questioned many times over the years with a large amount of people wishing for it to be added into the price of fuel but, That is not ideal either - both for drivers and for a government looking for easy money.
    For a driver that does lots of miles per year they could end up paying several times what they would currently, So this would be no good for them. On the other hand for someone like me that has a couple of cars that spend more time stationary than moving it means the government would lose out.

I suppose the answer is, Get some trade plates and traders insurance if you want to get cars from the auctions ?