Thread: Renault Clio 1.2 - Juddering & Heistant

Default Renault Clio 1.2 - Juddering & Heistant

Hi all, I own a 2002 Renault Clio Expression 1.2 16V.

The car judders and hesitates almost every day, more so if the car has been standing more than one day or if it has been raining the night before I drive it.

When I start the engine and let it tick over it will judder for around 5 - 10 minutes until the revs have dropped. If I drive it as soon as I start the engine, it will judder feeling like it is going to stall so I have to rev it. It also hesitates when I am pulling away at traffic lights etc and loses power suddenly and then pull. The car is like this for around 5 mile then it drives perfectly although the engine does sound slighty rough. Is this a misfire?

The warning light for 'monitoring exhaust gas' has been on about 3 times over the past 6 month when the car has been juddering and stays on for a couple of days but I'm unsure if this is anything to do with the above problem?

My first thought was that it could be the spark plugs but I am yet to find a spark plug removal tool that fits so I can get the old ones out and renew them. Does anyone know the correct socket size that I need?

I've also been told that it could be a faulty temperature sensor, something to do with the automatic choke or more than likely the coil pack. Has anyone here had this problem and found out what the cause was?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies
    Last edited by Vic83; 24-07-10 at 20:58.

Welcome to the site Vic83, could it be something like the engine mountings being worn? Just a thought, maybe on the site Gurus might be able to help out better, good luck with it

It needs checking with a scanner to see why the light came on.

Maybe it is a faulty coil causing a misfire or wiring loom damage.

Agree with MrDanno. Most likely the coil but plugs also. 14mm deep socket will undo them but you will need long nose pliers to lift them out or buy the correct socket from somewhere like Halfords.

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone.

I was told by Renault that I need a 14mm socket to remove the spark plugs. I've been to Halfords and a few car parts stockists but the 14mm sockets they have are too wide and wont fit down the pipe to get to the spark plugs. It says 14mm on the socket but thats the plug size and the socket actually measues 21mm so it is too wide. Anyone know the correct plug size, if the socket should measure 14mm, I'm having a nightmare finding one to fit. One garage told me it is a special tool designed only for Clios, is this right?

Yes, there is a special plug socket with a rubber insert that holds it to lift it out. Motor factors have them like Andrew Page, Unipart, Euro car Parts etc.
    The Sykes Pickavant part number is: 03341000.

I also use a 14mm deep socket, 3/8"th drive which is from Halfords! If you have been looking at 1/2" drive, it will be too bulky.

Thanks Hometune. I've had a look on Halfords website and found two that should fit. (14mm 3/8 drive). I'm hoping the 14mm means socket size and not plug size otherwise it will be around 21mm wide and too chunky to fit into the entry hole.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165469

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165469

I have an extenstion which fits down the entry pipe to the spark plugs so all I need is the socket to fit on the end (like the first link). Should this fit into the entry hole or would I be best to get one that is for Clio's:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The right one for the Clio is this onehttp://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165469 from halfords.