Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If you have fully comprehensive car insurance are you covered for third party on othe

Wagolynn, I had the Devil's own job tying down some insurers as to when my insurance no longer covers the 'borrowed' car. I suggest to them that 'as long as I am in the driver's seat....', and they snap this up as a resolution to the question, which is why I posted that above. Left to their own devices as to giving a clear-cut answer, and I think the conversation would go on forever, and all round the houses.

Agreed Rolebalma,
    I think the law, say for some offence or other; would say you would be in charge of the vehicle until you passed on the responsibility to another, which also feels morally right (Morals and insurance, is that possible?). I think most insurers tend to say you can drive another vehicle, which, I think is slightly different, or is it just sloppy drafting.

On the subject of Insurance, and some insurers dubious behaviour:
    I worked in a workshop with a bodyshop which did insurance repairs. One day an Assessor came in to inspect a vehicle, and found what were obviously work documents in the vehicle. He made the comment that the driver may have been in breach of his insurance, as he was not insured for work purposes. The car sat untouched for a few months whilst the insurer and the owner wrote and telephoned each other about this, although eventually the insurer did give the go-ahead for the repairs. The owner told us that he quite often worked from home, and carried work documents, and the insurer made him pay extra on his premium before agreeing the work.

Default DoV

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Aye! I knew about only one named driver being allowed to drive a Mobility car, as I am the named driver of my wife's car.

I have never had the need to drive anybody else s car over the past few years, as I am disabled myself, and cant get into Low cars any more?
    Hi Smudger,

Sorry, you're missing the point - Motorbility will normally insure 2 drivers for their lease cars (more if vital, apparently), but that's not the point. A driver (or "person") who has a Motorbility car, insured by Motorbility (?RSA) CANNOT drive any other vehicle (not belonging, etc) under 3rd party insurance because the Motorbility policy does NOT cover them.

I found this out because my daughter has a car which is insured ONLY for her to drive. She wanted to lend it to a friend who has a Motorbility car (to help her friend out, because the dealer couldn't at that time provide a courtesy car while it was being repaired). She thought the (comprehensive) Motorbility policy would cover her 3rd party, but when I rang to ask on her behalf they said no, that never applies to their policies!

Well it would be interesting to see what would happen if the garage gave you a courtesy car when your one is in for service?

Courtesy cars are insured by the garage on their Trader Policy. Anyone can drive with garage permission, although there are usually age limitations.

Ah! that explains that then, just as well I don't drive other peoples cars anyway.

Default cautionary tale!

hi (I am new by the way!)
    i was just looking for info about whether it is okay to own a 'weekend' car and keep it off road (drive) but uninsured in its own right, driven occasionally only but insured under the terms of my fully comp policy on my first car. I haven't found the definitive answer yet but I'm kind of thinking no! anyway I'll speak to my insurers.
    The reason for my this post is to warn others of my experience almost 3 1/2 years ago when my car was stolen. Straightforward claim you're thinking. Well, not quite..
    firstly i was doing courier work, which i since found i wasn't insured to do. secondly the car was stolen whilst i was making a delivery and with the keys in and engine running at the kerbside.
    About as bad as it gets you'd think, and you'd be right!
    I know I was stupid, so I'll get that out 'the way and don't need to be told!
    It was reported to police. I was sacked from my job ('had a few thousand £ worth of parcels stolen!) and insurance company, who i won't name, put me through the mill! I filed a claim but was aware was unlikely to be paid. They dropped the bombshell that there was no insurance for courier work.. they eventually 'let me off' this as i produced genuine evidence that I had been advised by a phone operator there that courier work WAS covered (I had date/time of call/name of operator! -ALWAYS KEEP A NOTE OF THIS EVERY CALL! IT SAVED MY BACON!!!!!) and for the record, yes I actually did assume i was insured..
    Interview after interview!! A letter pleading my case and stressing my near perfect driving record over 20 years! + several evidences of my usual care and diligence + evidence of my secure and respectable position and background, and pleading for lenience!! SO...
    The day before they were due to make a judgement on the claim.. THE CAR TURNED UP! (A £5000 car!!) I withdrew the claim QUICKLY!!
    'Awaited the verdict whether they would still insure me etc..
    I literally collapsed (in Matalan!) in a heap on the floor with relief when they said if I got all the locks changed and recoded they would still insure me! (Because I've read that having your insurance cancelled is about as bad as it gets!) The car keys were never recovered.

So i lost my job, i was ill physically and mentally with stress, depressed, my car was recorded as stolen/recovered, it STILL counted as a claim (even though i withdrew it- because i had a hire courtesy car for a few days!), i had to change my house locks ( £150,-the house keys were in the car!), there was £150 cash of mine stolen in the car, the new car locks/recoding cost me almost £500 and the police release fee was about £140!
    BUT I kept my insurance and the price didnt go up! that year or the next!
    I am now the most careful person there is! I stay within the speed limit, i have a security bollard at the end of the drive, everything is 100% legit with the insurance and i make a note of the conversation/date/time with every call, i have alarm, immobiliser etc etc and i have had 3 claim free years since.
    But if i see anyone with there engine running delivering me a parcel (which happens all the time) i warn them! DON'T DO IT! I live in a good area, but it happened to me in a good area too! guy must have been hiding behind a bush and jumped into my car when i wasnt looking!
    So sorry for the long and tedious story but let it be a warning! the odds of it happening are small, but the consequences could be catastrophic. And I was VERY VERY lucky!!

Quote Originally Posted by smartyprice View Post
    hi (I am new by the way!)
    i was just looking for info about whether it is okay to own a 'weekend' car and keep it off road (drive) but uninsured in its own right, driven occasionally only but insured under the terms of my fully comp policy on my first car. I haven't found the definitive answer yet but I'm kind of thinking no! anyway I'll speak to my insurers.
    Hi. Welcome to the forum.

Under the current continuous insurance regs. your weekend car needs to be insured in its own right, unless you register it as off the road (SORN). To use it (even occasionally) you'd have to un-SORN it and tax and insure it.

If you read the policy for your main car, you'll almost certainly find it will not cover you for driving other cars which are owned by you.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
    Hi. Welcome to the forum.

Under the current continuous insurance regs. your weekend car needs to be insured in its own right, unless you register it as off the road (SORN). To use it (even occasionally) you'd have to un-SORN it and tax and insure it.

If you read the policy for your main car, you'll almost certainly find it will not cover you for driving other cars which are owned by you.
    As above.

Firstly it needs to be taxed.

To be taxed, it needs to be insured.

Your driving other cars entitlement will almost certainly not cover you on a car owned by you.
    Some even state registered at the same address.